Bunt or not on semi-slap

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2013
Situation came up last weekend. Other team had an obviously new slapper that attempted to lay down a slap bunt twice but they both dropped foul. She proceeded to drag bunt the next 3 or 4 pitches foul as well but the PU let them go. She was clearly not breaking her wrists but she was hitting the ball harder than a normal bunt attempt because she was moving through the box. Our HC asked me and the other AC if she should ask the PU about it after the last foul ball and we both said yes but it was too late. Our pitcher through another pitch and the batter finally dropped one down and moved the runners over. We recorded the out at first, but the damage was done. It was at a USSSA tournament. It seems to me that this should fall under the definition of a drag bunt and still be covered by the third strike foul ball rule for bunts. Is this a call that would have been worth at least asking about during the at bat or should we have let it play out and then discussed it with the PU between innings?

Feb 7, 2013
IME, slappers seem to get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to slapping (bunting) with 2 strikes. For example, this past weekend the opposing coach complained about one of our slappers (he argued she bunted a weak foul with two strikes) but the PU said foul ball. Her bat was moving forward (albeit, stabbing at the pitch) and both her hands were near the knob of the bat. These are 12U inexperienced slappers who are just trying to get the bat on the ball and not trying to lay down a bunt but sometimes it appears to be a bunt. Another advantage to having a few slappers on your team.

Jul 6, 2013
Had the same situation happen this weekend. I asked about it after the first attempt on strike 2. Long story short, it did no good. When she finally put it down 3 pitches later, it was up the line about 10 feet. Clearly and attempt to tap the ball into the field of play. Maybe your PU will be more willing to entertain your question. Mine gave the craziest reason for why it wasn't a bunt, then ended with "it's a judgement call, and that's what my judgement was". Once they go there, I know it's time to say "ok...fair enough". Kinda like when one of my kids ask why about something and I tell them because I said so. :D

Jun 22, 2008
Do yourself a favor and remove the term "slap bunt" from your vocabulary. There is no such thing. A slap attempt is not a bunt and a bunt is not a slap. The definition of a bunt is pretty simple, tapping the ball slowly within the infield. Has nothing to do with hands on bat or running through the batters box.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Do yourself a favor and remove the term "slap bunt" from your vocabulary. There is no such thing. A slap attempt is not a bunt and a bunt is not a slap. The definition of a bunt is pretty simple, tapping the ball slowly within the infield. Has nothing to do with hands on bat or running through the batters box.

The only thing I would add (and this wording might vary in different rule books) is that the rule defines a bunt as "intentionally tapping the ball slowly within the infield".

Even if the batter took a slap at it, but the ball was barely nicked and only rolled a few inches, that wouldn't qualify as a bunt.

Feb 7, 2013
So, she was bunting.

Absolutely irrelevant and has nothing to do with whether a ball is being bunted as per the rules.

Just so we are clear, I am talking about how it appears in a real game. If a batter square around, with her top hand moved up the handle and basically catches the ball with her bat, I think we would all agree that is a bunt. If a slapper is moving forward in the box, with the bat moving thorough the strike zone and her hands are down near the knob of the bat, it is not an easy call to make whether it's a bunt or slap. There is a fine line between a slap and a bunt in the second scenario. Few umpires will call an out in the second scenario if the ball goes foul with two strikes.

Mar 2, 2013
Just so we are clear, I am talking about how it appears in a real game. If a batter square around, with her top hand moved up the handle and basically catches the ball with her bat, I think we would all agree that is a bunt. If a slapper is moving forward in the box, with the bat moving thorough the strike zone and her hands are down near the knob of the bat, it is not an easy call to make whether it's a bunt or slap. There is a fine line between a slap and a bunt in the second scenario. Few umpires will call an out in the second scenario if the ball goes foul with two strikes.

I cannot agree with you. If these are the criteria you consider, you are bound to get into an argument. It is the intent of the batter and her action with the bat that matter. How she is positioned, where her hands are, etc. is irrelevant. Nowadays, they aren't even week guidelines for helping out. Watch the bat.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves