Building Your Own Personal Brand - Affecting College Recruiting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

amandascarborough

where's the chocolate?
Jan 22, 2014
Everywhere, USA
Thanks for the insight! I'm assuming you were a college all American, coach for the most recognizable TB org in the country, are an ESPN and Longhorn network analyst, and all the other accolades that Amanda has earned. Not to mention BOTH of your NOW/AND statements are totally incorrect. I know some of us on here have big egos but she has been there, done that and is still helping others do it. So I am pretty sure she may know a thing or two.

I REALLY appreciate this comment because from the small number of posts I have put on here (in my 24+ hours of joining in on the conversation) I feel like this forum is going to be a no-win situation for me to talk about anything on here! I come from a different place, I'm not coming from ego, I'm coming from wanting to help softball athletes grow to their highest potential -- not just on the softball field, but OFF of the softball held, because THAT is what will help them succeed when softball is all said and done (because I hate to disappoint, but at some point it will be over :)

I've already posted several times I want to SHARE information and talk softball from my travels around the country (literally) of working with players of all ages and even around the college networks. I post things from my own experience as a former player or as a current coach as literally I am talking to girls of all ages, and not to mention I was one.

EVERY situation is contextual and has situations that "depend" on other situation. There is NO one size fits all in sports and in softball.Nothing is every absolute, except for the fact that if the bases are loaded and it's a 3-2 count and the next pitch you throw is a ball that a hitter does not swing at that is outside the strike zone, a ball will be called and a run will come across the plate. (I know from experience)

My main goal when have posted has not been to brag about what I know, but to help others find out information that they might not have known in the first place to help their daughters in any way possible earn a college scholarship and/or be able to compete at the next level. I want to be able to share this information to help shed light, but I am not really wanting to do it at the expense that everyone on here is going to disagree with me and talk about what I am saying is completely wrong. So maybe I am in the wrong place :) And that is fine! Thoughts?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I REALLY appreciate this comment because from the small number of posts I have put on here (in my 24+ hours of joining in on the conversation) I feel like this forum is going to be a no-win situation for me to talk about anything on here! I come from a different place, I'm not coming from ego, I'm coming from wanting to help softball athletes grow to their highest potential -- not just on the softball field, but OFF of the softball held, because THAT is what will help them succeed when softball is all said and done (because I hate to disappoint, but at some point it will be over :)

I've already posted several times I want to SHARE information and talk softball from my travels around the country (literally) of working with players of all ages and even around the college networks. I post things from my own experience as a former player or as a current coach as literally I am talking to girls of all ages, and not to mention I was one.

EVERY situation is contextual and has situations that "depend" on other situation. There is NO one size fits all in sports and in softball.Nothing is every absolute, except for the fact that if the bases are loaded and it's a 3-2 count and the next pitch you throw is a ball that a hitter does not swing at that is outside the strike zone, a ball will be called and a run will come across the plate. (I know from experience)

My main goal when have posted has not been to brag about what I know, but to help others find out information that they might not have known in the first place to help their daughters in any way possible earn a college scholarship and/or be able to compete at the next level. I want to be able to share this information to help shed light, but I am not really wanting to do it at the expense that everyone on here is going to disagree with me and talk about what I am saying is completely wrong. So maybe I am in the wrong place :) And that is fine! Thoughts?

Stick with us. There are a lot of good people here who are just trying to do the best for our DDs. You've been down the road that many aspire to, and I'm sure there's a lot you can do to help guide those on the same road. There will be people who will challenge you, or disagree with you (everyone is entitled their opinion...even if it's wrong) but keep a thick skin, and you will help a lot of people.

That said, if you're just looking for a place to have everyone agree with you, you won't find it here. DFP is kind of "real" like that.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket

Don't let the naysayers run you off. Keep the blog up and info coming! Some people just aren't happy in life, so they feel the need to make other miserable too.

You and Calista made an impression and helped my DD a couple of years ago.

Now if I could just get you away from the Crackers....

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I want to be able to share this information to help shed light, but I am not really wanting to do it at the expense that everyone on here is going to disagree with me and talk about what I am saying is completely wrong. So maybe I am in the wrong place :) And that is fine! Thoughts?

I think you bring a unique set of experiences to the board and it would be a shame to lose your voice here because of a couple of really negative people. I hope you didn't think that what I responded with was negative, I agreed with all of the advice and content, I just don't like the term "branding"

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I think you bring a unique set of experiences to the board and it would be a shame to lose your voice here because of a couple of really negative people. I hope you didn't think that what I responded with was negative, I agreed with all of the advice and content, I just don't like the term "branding"

Is there another way you would describe it?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

I think sharing your thoughts and experiences would be a much welcomed asset to DFP and help many young players work towards their goals and dreams. However, the perspectives, experiences, objectives, and agendas of the DFP membership is so diverse that you will undoubtedly will have some haters. Maybe you sent there alma mater packing in the WCWS, maybe it makes them feel big to standup to a former college star, or maybe they truly disagree and want to discuss something you have to say. If you pick your spots and learn to not take the vocal minority personally, you'll be good to go! DFP has an "Ignore" user button feature that some choose to use in such cases.

Thanks for your contributions so far. Hope you stay around!

PS - I'm a former baseball catcher so I'm used to helping pitchers.
PPS - I think I'm on 2 people's Ignore list currently so take my input with a grain of salt.
PPS - Wait awhile before venturing into the Theological (aka Theoretical) Hitting Forum!

Last edited:

Bleacher Bum

Avid student of the game
Aug 29, 2013
NorCal
Stick with us. There are a lot of good people here who are just trying to do the best for our DDs. You've been down the road that many aspire to, and I'm sure there's a lot you can do to help guide those on the same road. There will be people who will challenge you, or disagree with you (everyone is entitled their opinion...even if it's wrong) but keep a thick skin, and you will help a lot of people.

That said, if you're just looking for a place to have everyone agree with you, you won't find it here. DFP is kind of "real" like that.

I've gotta agree with Eric F on all counts. I'm not a frequent poster, but I highly value all the info posted here. Sometimes the responses can make you feel like people are picking on you, but understand that this is a forum for information and idea exchange. Yes, some people just stick around to sling mud, but most are here to learn. And learning takes on many forms. Sometimes it by just listening (or reading), sometimes by doing, and other times by debate. And I think that's what's going on here. People exchanging opinions.

Side note - I also agree with what JJSqueeze said in an earlier post - that Powerdrive video is absolutely awesome in terms of the info that can be taken from it. And yes, people on this site will review and debate it frame-by-frame......

So please - stick around. Exchange ideas. Offer advice. Everyone will be better off for it, even if they don't 100% agree 100% of the time.

Jul 26, 2010

As a coach, you know that not everyone will agree with everything that you say, likewise, there will be people that agree with everything you say for all the wrong reasons. It's important to maintain objectivity in the face of both of these situations. Having information to share, having an opinion, or even having a bullet proof information does not mean that everyone in the world will agree with you, or even that they should agree with you. It shouldn't discourage you, if anything, it should remind you to remain open minded and that there are all different kinds of people in the world with all different kinds of viewpoints and opinions.

Your input is greatly valued, but that shouldn't be a requirement or even a motivator to continue posting. Your desire to share what you have learned should trump whatever feedback, positive or negative, that you may receive.

-W

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Is there another way you would describe it?

It's just reputation or image to me. When I first heard the branding term applied to people about 10 years ago it just struck me as odd and it still does. People have always marketed themselves to some extent, and Amanda's advice in the article is spot on for paying attention to what you put out there, but the term branding for people just grinds me. it is the same reason I don't like it when my favorite team is called a "product".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softball_1