building 10u team with not much luck

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
Davenport ia
trying to build a new team for our organization not having much luck getting girls to tryout and show up anys suggestions to help us, hoping it was just early and now that it is getting closer to season people will commit.

Feb 8, 2009
The first year I did 10u , I handpicked girls from our rec league. Thereafter, we held tryouts. You could try sending flyers to schools and post in the paper.

Nov 4, 2010
We too picked straight out of local rec league for our 1st year. Helped out alot that we had coached all stars 8u the 2 prior years. Next year we plan to have a 12u and 10u. I suspect next year we will hold tryouts to fill open spots on 10 and 12u teams.

Jul 9, 2010
Might take some work. We also knew about 8 kids from rec that wanted to play, and started with that. I found many parents to be afraid of travel ball. They heard stories of expense, travel, intensity, crazy competitiveness, etc, and that scared them off from joing a TB team.

In our case, as we launched, we had to work very hard to get kids on the fence to understand that all of the above can be true, if the coaches involved allowed it. We did not allow all of that, we did travel the world, and we kept costs reasonable. Without doing all of these things, I don't know that we could have gotten off the ground.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
IMO, at 10U, you can't be too picky about who you take on the team. At that age, there is just no way to know how good a kid will turn out with good coaching and extra practice. If you're looking to build a team of all-stars, and reject the kids who really want to play but are not that good, I think you might miss out on some opportunities to find the hard-working kids that will really shine in a year or two.

Jul 9, 2010
PA Dad - couldn't agree more. There are always teams that think it's the World Series, and will try to act that way in games. I remember many of those kids, and half of them have quit because everyone else caught them physically, and it became work to be good.

I got to attend signing day ceremonies last Fall with some of the 'lesser' kids who started way back when, when they were smaller, slower, or less coordinated than the 10 year old studs we played against years ago. But, these kids had the right attitude and work ethic.

Jan 24, 2011
Davenport ia
i agree PA SB Dad we did have one parent call that has an 8u and was wondering if she was to young i told the coach to tell them to show up just for that reason she could be an all star

Apr 25, 2010
How many teams do you have in your area? It could be that there are too many teams and not enough players. Also, many times, experienced families will avoid "new" teams. They will stick with known, established teams.

Jan 30, 2010
I would suggest taking girls from rec and using your first year as a building year.
Do 2 practices a week and find some scrimmage games to play, instead of tournaments.
Schedule a tourney or 2 for the end of July or early August.A few fundraisers and your year will be payed for.
This is how we developed our org. into a 10,12 and 14-u in about 3 years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd