Brush Interference/whip?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2012
This is a video of my 14 yr old dd. I think she's always naturally used IR and had that whip, but in her first year of HS ball this past fall, she was hitting her forearm hard and ended up sitting out the last two weeks with a stress fracture to her forearm (ulna). She also reached her fastest speed of 60, 61, and 62. After the injury healed we worked hard not to hit herself anymore, tried to correct an incorrect arm circle, etc and she seemed to lose her whip altogether. Finally in an indoor PGF last weekend she was clocked at 59 and 60 but was throwing loose and back to her old armcircle. Any advice PLEASE on anything you see here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNeWdP_yJqI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdBj468ihXo

Apr 12, 2015
Her brush didn't look bad at all to me. In the two clips, I didn't see anything that might cause injury. I'd concentrate more on good front side resistance. That is where she is leaking energy and thus power.

Jun 18, 2010
mac_side_zpsl0quytsp.gif

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Your DD is an advanced pitcher, but her mechanics need some work.

a) Her front side resistance need work. She is skipping forward after release, which means she is losing speed. She is supposed to *stop* after she throws the ball.

b) Her front foot is also positioned incorrectly at landing. If perpendicular to the power line was 0, and parallel to the power line was 90, then your DD's right foot is landing with about a -10 degree angle. The red line on the photo of your DD is over a line in the basement floor, which is perpendicular to the power line. You can see just how much your DD's foot is turned. Compare that to Osterman...Osterman's foot is landing at 45 or 50 degree angle.

c) She is "sticking her butt out"when she throws, presumable to avoid hitting her arm with her hips. This is going to lead all kinds of control problems. She has to stand up straight at release, and brush her arm against her body when she throws.

Attachments

• osty1.JPG
    osty1.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
She's got a great arm circle! However, she's clearly avoiding the brush-assist part of her arm-whip. I think the word "brush" is important to stress. If her forearm was hitting enough to cause the injury you mentioned, I'd say the brush was not learned correctly.

She's clearly trying to keep her hips from rotating until the ball is released--trying to avoid much, if any, brush.

I've shown this before, but I think the clip below is a pretty good example of brush-assisted arm-whip. And, this girl's arm can hardly tell she's doing this--no bruising, and only occasional hint of redness when she wears the wrong pants/shorts. It's a cool angle to see it! Can she throw as fast as your DD? Not quite yet. Does this kid need work on other things? YES, but the brush-assisted arm-whip is pretty good. Some would even say she's an "over-achiever" in this regard, which I would tend to agree with. Nonetheless, THIS doesn't hurt her at all.

If the arm has heeled, I would think that using a correct brush would only help her to be better.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2012
Thanks everyone! She has always landed like this, so obviously this is going to be our next project. Hopefully, this will also help with her sticking her butt out as well. She can stick her landing although in this video she doesn't, so that should be an easy fix. The problem is the brush... she wants to slam her arm into her body rather than "brushing" it.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thanks everyone! She has always landed like this, so obviously this is going to be our next project. Hopefully, this will also help with her sticking her butt out as well. She can stick her landing although in this video she doesn't, so that should be an easy fix. The problem is the brush... she wants to slam her arm into her body rather than "brushing" it.

Something like this?

21mu8om.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom