Breaking in Rawlings Liberty Advanced

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Got my daughter a Liberty Advanced glove for Christmas. Been trying to break this thing in. It fits her great. After hours of catch and bending and flexing it, it is still way away. It got to the point I even used hot glove on it (I know it will shorten the life), done ran over with a car lol, and everything else. I don't like using it myself because I want it to form to her hand, but I have caught a couple pitching lessons with it. The palm is what won't soften up. Any tips appreciated. She loves the way it feels the palm is just still stiff as a board. Got a mallet and gonna start using it on it but the way it is looking it will be a couple years before it is ready lol.

It took about 2 hours to break in my DD's 1b Liberty Advanced. It wasn't long at all.

Use the Aso method.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
I'm usually not big on rapid break in processes for gloves and mitts. The faster the break in, the faster it wears out. Big leaguers get away with it because it is either comp'ed and/or justified to ensure a steady supply of game ready equipment. That being said, my daughter's Liberty catcher' mitt is one of the few items I've steamed. They are just stiff as a board. Tall pot of water, 1/4 full, over the stove to a medium boil. Placed a bread rack on top. Place the mitt on the rack and a cardboard box over the top. Just monitor to ensure it isn't getting overly wet. Do in small sessions and have your player pound a ball in it in between. You want it broken in to fit her hand. I've also been known to turn inside out to get the hing properly formed. I would make sure you have some good glove leather conditioner handy for after. Let the "don't do that" comments ensue. :)

May 16, 2016
My method. Give the palm and inside of fingers a light coat of Mizuno Strong Oil or other conditioner. If you have a light color glove with dark laces, be careful to keep conditioner off laces, as this might make the laces bleed into the glove leather. Fold glove where you want it to hinge, and pound it with a mallet begin forming the hinge. Then, Ball in pocket, wrap it with glove locker, or other elastic band. If you are not throwing with it, it's wrapped with a ball in pocket. This worked with my Liberty Advanced Catchers Mitt as well as fielder gloves. It may take a few weeks to be "Game Ready".

Dec 19, 2021
DD's LA is going strong after 3 years. It still stays open if it is laid on it's side. One relacing job a year ago. Though at this point nobody can tell it started life as a white glove.

Break in was a light coat of Glovoleum followed by slamming and rolling a ball in it and vigorous rolling of the ball in the palm and pocket, i.e. put ball in pocket, grab thumb and pinkie sides in opposite hands and pull one side while pushing the other, back and forth, letting the pocket kind of roll around the ball. Also just open-close ad nauseum while watching a show. Then lots of catch. Took about 3-4 weeks before game action.

Dec 19, 2021
And just to add, DD2 just got an LXT 12". It was a lot easier to break in than the LA. The LXT leather is nice, but the laces are straight-up brittle junk. I will replace those after she has used it a bit more.

Aug 31, 2020
I'm usually not big on rapid break in processes for gloves and mitts. The faster the break in, the faster it wears out. Big leaguers get away with it because it is either comp'ed and/or justified to ensure a steady supply of game ready equipment. That being said, my daughter's Liberty catcher' mitt is one of the few items I've steamed. They are just stiff as a board. Tall pot of water, 1/4 full, over the stove to a medium boil. Placed a bread rack on top. Place the mitt on the rack and a cardboard box over the top. Just monitor to ensure it isn't getting overly wet. Do in small sessions and have your player pound a ball in it in between. You want it broken in to fit her hand. I've also been known to turn inside out to get the hing properly formed. I would make sure you have some good glove leather conditioner handy for after. Let the "don't do that" comments ensue. :)
At least I'm not alone. We've been working on my daughter's LA mitt for 2 years now. It was bought big knowing this was the year but it's still not 100% there yet. I've done hot water twice, thousands of hits with a mallet and countless pitches.

Nov 15, 2019
At least I'm not alone. We've been working on my daughter's LA mitt for 2 years now. It was bought big knowing this was the year but it's still not 100% there yet. I've done hot water twice, thousands of hits with a mallet and countless pitches.
This is so strange to me. My daughter's Liberty advanced catcher's mitt was broken in within a couple weeks just by a pounding with a mallet and catching for pitchers. Never steamed it or used water. After using it for 2 years it definitely needs to be replaced.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
This is so strange to me. My daughter's Liberty advanced catcher's mitt was broken in within a couple weeks just by a pounding with a mallet and catching for pitchers. Never steamed it or used water. After using it for 2 years it definitely needs to be replaced.
Same here. The Liberty Advanced is their lowest level glove/mitt that girls use for HS and TB. My daughter's lasted about 2.5 years before the padding broke down when catching for faster pitchers. The Pro Preferred, and to a lesser degree, the Heart of The Hide, are much harder to break in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles