Breaking in Rawlings Liberty Advanced

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2021
Got my daughter a Liberty Advanced glove for Christmas. Been trying to break this thing in. It fits her great. After hours of catch and bending and flexing it, it is still way away. It got to the point I even used hot glove on it (I know it will shorten the life), done ran over with a car lol, and everything else. I don't like using it myself because I want it to form to her hand, but I have caught a couple pitching lessons with it. The palm is what won't soften up. Any tips appreciated. She loves the way it feels the palm is just still stiff as a board. Got a mallet and gonna start using it on it but the way it is looking it will be a couple years before it is ready lol.

Jul 31, 2021
Hot glove it some more
Thought about it lol. This glove has Monica Abbott signature on it though. She still wants to use it and I'm sure it will wear off. She went to a pitching clinic with her a couple weeks ago. Thought she was gonna ask for an autograph on her forehead lol. She got a ball, glove, and USA jersey signed.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Take her to the local batting cages, turn the machine on 65 mph (adjust for age group) and feed her dimple balls for 30 minutes. She doesn't need to be in crouch, she can sit on the edge of a chair or stand in an athletic position. Her task is to stick every pitch and make a loud pop. Should be able to get in 250 to 300 catches. It is better than the mallet because she is getting in work too.

Jul 31, 2021
Take her to the local batting cages, turn the machine on 65 mph (adjust for age group) and feed her dimple balls for 30 minutes. She doesn't need to be in crouch, she can sit on the edge of a chair or stand in an athletic position. Her task is to stick every pitch and make a loud pop. Should be able to get in 250 to 300 catches. It is better than the mallet because she is getting in work too.
She isn't a catcher it is a regular fielding glove. I see where you get the idea cause I said Ive caught a couole pitching lessons with it lol.But that is a good idea for a catcher.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Nothing beats a good glove mallet and a good conditioner. Ball Players Balm or Nokona conditioner work best for me. I had to break in my daughter's Pro Preferred custom glove, and it took a lot of pounding with the mallet before it was comfortable enough to use in games for her. Don't be afraid to use the mallet.

Mar 28, 2020
You can get any glove steamed at Dick's for $10. DD has the same glove. We used lots of conditioner, mallet... the usual stuff. Then, we put a ball in the pocket and parked the car on it. Overnight. No issues since. Lol

Sep 19, 2018
grab an 8lb dumbbells and beat the crap out of the glove. This is my personal opinion so take it for what is worth. My experience (12U) girls prefer their mitts to be what I'd consider a Floppy Mess. Get her used to a glove that still has a little body to it.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
When breaking a glove, my intent is to make the palm - from the base of the thumb to the base of the index finger - flexible. Part of my process is to fold the glove and sit on it for a while. Move the fold a little, and sit on it some more. Move the fold, sit... I do this at home while watching TV, or sitting at my desk at work. It's not a quick process, but effective.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles