Breaking in Rawlings Liberty Advanced

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 28, 2019
the Heart of The Hide, are much harder to break in.
This took about a year and a half before i would say it was broke in. Not even gonna lie, i hot gloved it probably about 3 times. I wasn't aware of all these fancy techniques... next time, i would have no issue shipping this thing to a glove wizard and paying whatever!!!

Aug 31, 2020
This is so strange to me. My daughter's Liberty advanced catcher's mitt was broken in within a couple weeks just by a pounding with a mallet and catching for pitchers. Never steamed it or used water. After using it for 2 years it definitely needs to be replaced.
It hasn't had a ton of use since it was bought a touch large knowing it would be used this season. Also, she's a secondary catcher and doesn't get all the innings. I'd say if we gave it 100% it could be nearly broken in over 1 off season.

Oct 4, 2018
This is so strange to me. My daughter's Liberty advanced catcher's mitt was broken in within a couple weeks just by a pounding with a mallet and catching for pitchers. Never steamed it or used water. After using it for 2 years it definitely needs to be replaced.

Agreed.

Perhaps I've broken in too many A2000s and Heart of Hides, but Rawlings Liberty Advanced are like putty. They break in so easily and quickly.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Agreed.

Perhaps I've broken in too many A2000s and Heart of Hides, but Rawlings Liberty Advanced are like putty. They break in so easily and quickly.
Exactly! My two daughters now use a Nokona catcher's mitt and a Rawlings Pro Preferred glove. You want to talk about tough to break in? The difference is the ones you mentioned and the ones I mentioned are built to last. The LA is a good mitt/glove, but its service life is a lot shorter, hence the difference in price.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Agreed.

With ya...I always thought the LA was so easy to break in

And my wife has had her LA for atleast 10 years and going strong...or course it was a Worth back then :)

Nov 9, 2021
Got my daughter a Liberty Advanced glove for Christmas. Been trying to break this thing in. It fits her great. After hours of catch and bending and flexing it, it is still way away. It got to the point I even used hot glove on it (I know it will shorten the life), done ran over with a car lol, and everything else. I don't like using it myself because I want it to form to her hand, but I have caught a couple pitching lessons with it. The palm is what won't soften up. Any tips appreciated. She loves the way it feels the palm is just still stiff as a board. Got a mallet and gonna start using it on it but the way it is looking it will be a couple years before it is ready lol.

I took my DD new glove to Dick’s and they steamed it and used a mallet on it and it was ready in about 45 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
One thing that always gets overlooked is the wrist strap, I refuse to buy a glove without one. When the glove closes the strap tightens against the wrist. The tighter the strap the more the palm has to fold/collapse to let the glove close. Loosening the strap will let the glove close. In several cases I have replaced the strap laces with a thick hair tie, after the glove gets thoroughly broken in I put the leather laces back. The catcher's mitt that I use now still has the hair tie in it.

Feb 25, 2020
One thing that always gets overlooked is the wrist strap, I refuse to buy a glove without one. When the glove closes the strap tightens against the wrist. The tighter the strap the more the palm has to fold/collapse to let the glove close. Loosening the strap will let the glove close. In several cases I have replaced the strap laces with a thick hair tie, after the glove gets thoroughly broken in I put the leather laces back. The catcher's mitt that I use now still has the hair tie in it.

This is very smart. If the wrist strap/band is too tight you cant close the glove. Wrist bands should be loosley tightened with the glove closed.(fully loosen wrist. Close glove fully. Then loosely tighten wristband)

Jul 31, 2021
Never thought about that but it makes perfect sense.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles