Breaking in a glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
I own a Worth LA, and recently did an initial break-in on a Rawlings LA. The leather is different.

The Worth leather has a matte finish. The quality of the leather is good, however, what my DD and I found is that the finish on the leather isn't great at grabbing the ball and stopping the spin as it hit the pocket, causing a higher number of missed catches. As the it got more use, it got better. Keeping it well-conditioned also helped. For my DD it was a no-go, which is how it became mine. My DD had the same issue with her Worth LA fielder's glove (same leather), but it improved quick enough that it wasn't a problem once broken-in. Despite all that, the Worth LA series was very good.

The Rawlings leather doesn't have the matte finish but seems to be similar in terms of quality. I like the Rawlings LA catcher's mitt a lot, and would (and do) definitely recommend it for those not wanting a Vinci.

I do recall that the texture of the leather was an issue at first. I think the steaming process helped with that as well. I'm not a big fan of steaming mitts, but PnC alone wasn't cutting it.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
How about just playing some regular old catch with your DD....:)

Winner right here! Although I said play catch twice in my post I added some fluff to go along with it. Rocketech1 is dead on right here! Fortunately enough for me I feed, clothe, and shelter a 16 year old pitching machine, pretty easy for me to beat on a glove the old fashioned way:cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00