BM's Arm circle drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
DD is too over the top of Her head with Her circle so we are trying this drill to correct the arm circle. Early attempts are failing as She old habits are interfering. We believe in IR and need to get the arm relaxed and whipping. Slight muscle pain comes in after 10-20 throws but it's nothing to see a doctor about. We have talked it over and She realizes it's Her old mechanics fighting as we try to learn something new.

Jul 14, 2008
Ok got it........She's doing exactly opposite of what the drill is designed to accomplish.........

In the very beginning of the clip.......Your DD's arm/ball is pointed out at the fence instead of forward. As she starts the arm circle, her bicep moves toward her head into a more vertical orientation......Infact INCREASING the circumference of the circle...........Instead of abbreviating it by keeping the bicep more at a 45 degree angle out from the joint during the initial "go-around"........

If you watch me in this drill.........You'll notice my bicep (humerus bone) never rises vertically above 45 degrees OUTWARD from my shoulder joint..........At the start of the circle, I'm actually moving the ball slightly away and out from myself at the start, to create an ABBREVIATED circle.........Even though it doesn't look like it........

2rh733m.gif
iem80n.gif

Because my humerus never rises above 45 degrees vertical........The ball stays OUTSIDE my deltoid (shoulder) tip......

In your DD's case.........She needs to be starting with the ball pointing more forward toward the target with a slight elbow bend.......Then moving the ball out TOWARD THE SIDE FENCE to perform the circle..........ABBREVIATING the circle........Instead of UP TOWARD HER HEAD........

Does that help you understand better?

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2013
dont want to hijack this thread but im trying to understand why you would want to start your arm circle out of line with the rest of the arm circle?... meaning i always look for the bicept to come right past the ear at the top...thank you.

Jul 14, 2008
It's simply a drill to allow the student to understand the feeling that the arm circle should NOT bend over the head toward the throwing shoulder......

Not everyone has this problem. But many many pitchers do NOT have arm circle awareness, and bring the ball severely over the top of the head.........Even to the point that the ball is on the glove shoulder side of the head if the elbow has a severe bend..........

It's an over-correction drill........Sometimes over correction is the only way for students to understand ADJUSTMENT........

A similar example is a student who consistantly throws a ball high in the zone or down in the dirt........Sometimes the only way for them to "feel" an adjustment is to make the high-baller throw it in the dirt.........Or the low-baller throw the ball over the catchers head.......That's a severe enough adjustment to make them/the body understand HOW TO MAKE an "adjustment"..........

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
example is a student who consistantly throws a ball high in the zone or down in the dirt........Sometimes the only way for them to "feel" an adjustment is to make the high-baller throw it in the dirt.........Or the low-baller throw the ball over the catchers head.......That's a severe enough adjustment to make them/the body understand HOW TO MAKE an "adjustment"..........

Great advice....but DD still looks at me like I'm nuts when she throws one really high, then throws one in the dirt and I smile and say nice adjustment....

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Yup got it. I'll have Her read it over and we will make the changes and get back soon with an update.

edit. She says the abbr. circle makes it feel like she's throwing across her body. Correct feel?
It's definitely uncomfortable feeling so I assume it is probably correct. Thx

Last edited:
Just a quick thought after looking at the video of your daughter. The pain may not be all related to the arm circle......she seems to display a long/forced follow through. Is this something she intentionally tries to do? The deceleration phase of the pitch is important and can be a source of pain issues....getting some brush interference with forearm and hip/thigh helps not only transfer energy, but also is a key to deceleration.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
A similar example is a student who consistantly throws a ball high in the zone or down in the dirt........Sometimes the only way for them to "feel" an adjustment is to make the high-baller throw it in the dirt.........Or the low-baller throw the ball over the catchers head.......That's a severe enough adjustment to make them/the body understand HOW TO MAKE an "adjustment"..........

Great info.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Tommy,
Where is DD feeling pain? Do you have any updated full motion video of her from the side and either front/back showing the issue you're hoping to correct?

Ken

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand