Blue calling "Time" on steal attempts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
So is it ok for the ump to call time while a play is going on?

What she is doing is within the rules of the game. The defense needs to learn how to handle the situation at some point anyways.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
So is it ok for the ump to call time while a play is going on?

What she is doing is within the rules of the game. The defense needs to learn how to handle the situation at some point anyways.

Though it should not occur to the point of interfering with play, an umpire may suspend play when in their judgment conditions justify such action.

May 14, 2010
Whoa, easy there, big fella. I'm still a little new at being a HC so I'm looking for input and suggestions, not judgments. I still have a lot to learn and that's why I joined here.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the input. The amount of experience on this board is amazing and I'm learning a lot. I've AC'd for a bunch of years but this is the first time I've ever dedicated my time to becoming a student of the game so that I may teach my players correctly as HC. If I can remain humble and absorb as much info as possible I think that I may eventually become a pretty good coach. I have the passion and drive and I believe that's a good start.

Interesting how some umpires feel they can tell you how you should be coaching but then get very irritable when you dare question their duties.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Interesting how some umpires feel they can tell you how you should be coaching but then get very irritable when you dare question their duties.

Hmmmm....interesting how some on the board seem to think that anybody that has a an opinion different than theirs or they perceive as arrogant must be an umpire.

If you took the time to go back and look at the response you quoted, you will see it was directed at a poster that has never, to my knowledge, indicated that he was an umpire.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Rec ball rules will vary from league to league...but your right in the fact the play isn't dead until the pitcher has the ball inside the circle, however at this level, a simple delayed steal or retreating after the catcher walks the line is plenty.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2012
If you arent teaching techniques that give the girls an edge at each age level you are not coaching properly.

Baserunning at 10U (even A) is a huge part of the strategy. While that fades with age we should be teaching the girls to find strategies that work and eveolve them as needed.

Dont make excuses for lackof coaching like calling what you dont understand carnival tricks. If it beats you and its legal then you should learn from it and teach/coach.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Kind of hard to think of it as "a steal attempt" when the runner isn't going anywhere.

Kind of a stretch to call it "a play" (by definition, an attempt to retire a defensive player) when the catcher is just standing there holding the ball.

This went on for ten seconds? That's an eternity when it's just two players standing there looking at each other. At some point you have to call it a standoff. Nobody's advancing and nobody's trying to make a put out. You have to get the game moving along. No, an umpire shouldn't call time while there's playing action going on. But how long should we stand there an wait when there's nothing happening?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
Texas
I have called time before during play, and have had to send runners back that were advancing. In the very few times this has occurred, it was always due to an injury on the field that I believe time needed to be called to attend to a player.

Now I will admit to this, during my rookie year, I once called time when I absolutely should not have. R1 on 1B, B2 hits a ground ball to F8, R1 attempts to go from 1B to 3B on hit. There's a banger on her head first slide into 3B which I roll her safe. F5 is holding the ball on R1 and R1 looks at me and yells "Time Blue!". I instintively yell "Time!" What's happening elsewhere? BR is advancing from 1B to 2B on the throw but hasn't made it to 2B yet.

Ooops. :confused: I had to send her back to 1B. Her coach was not happy at what I did and gave me some guff. I told him I definitely made a mistake and I understand what I did wrong there. It was just rookie instinct to grant her time.

In between innings, I walk over to my fellow official, a seasoned vet. He doesn't say anything at first and then looks at me and sarcastically says while slapping me on the back: "Nice one partner! Bet you won't do THAT again!" and then he laughs. He's right, in the several years since, I haven't done it again. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid