Blue calling "Time" on steal attempts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
Couldn't find this in the rulebook so looking for feedback. 12U rec ball, LL rules.

Our team has runner at 3rd and is taking huge, fast leads on release of pitch. This runner always confounds the other pitchers/catchers and is really entertaining to watch. She can steal home at will. Anyway, after about ten seconds of runner trying to "bait" the catcher into throwing her out the ump calls "Time" and orders runner back to third. This happened twice in a row. I instructed runner to not worry about Blue, that she should not change her strategy.

I'm assuming he's trying to keep the game rolling, which I understand, but what is the official ruling on this? Can the runner be called out after repeated attempts? Can she take as long as she wants to steal? Was I wrong advising runner to not change the way she tries to steal home? Thanks for any input.

Apr 13, 2013
In ASA I think the runner can keep doing that all day, LBR is the “protection” for the offense to stop this.

I am OK with the UMP calling time and saying let’s get going but I do not think they are supposed to do this.

In lower level rec runners like you described drive me nuts, either on mine or the other team. Have her try this in a couple years and see how it goes for her.

Edit:

If I needed to I would have the C walk the runner back to 3rd, have the 1st base come and cover home, maybe wait for the CF to back up the 1st at home, then have the C throw it to the pitcher. On defense I could do this all day long too, not sure what the point of it would be.

(I know you just asked for the rule, the opinions are free.:))

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2013
If we have a lead, I told my DD to stand on the plate and hold the ball. Then look at the PU and tell him she could play this game all day. The ump will call time eventually.

But... she doesn't listen to me. She gets that rabid look on her face and bows up at the runner, lobs it back to the pitcher to bait the runner, and waits for the throwback from the pitcher. She's 2 for 3; pickup pitcher didn't know the routine on the missed one. :D

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Couldn't find this in the rulebook so looking for feedback. 12U rec ball, LL rules.

Our team has runner at 3rd and is taking huge, fast leads on release of pitch. This runner always confounds the other pitchers/catchers and is really entertaining to watch. She can steal home at will.

Apparently not. If so, why is she still on 3B?

Anyway, after about ten seconds of runner trying to "bait" the catcher into throwing her out the ump calls "Time" and orders runner back to third. This happened twice in a row. I instructed runner to not worry about Blue, that she should not change her strategy.

I'm assuming he's trying to keep the game rolling, which I understand, but what is the official ruling on this? Can the runner be called out after repeated attempts? Can she take as long as she wants to steal? Was I wrong advising runner to not change the way she tries to steal home? Thanks for any input.

IMO, you should be coaching the player to advance to the next level, not encourage what has little to no positive value in her softball future. If you look at the older ages and/or of higher level of competition, you will notice that while runners will charge off of 3B, they do so under great control and restraint and almost immediately return once realized that the catcher made the stop/catch.

You will also notice that the ball gets returned to the pitcher and the LBR will come into play, but if not careful, in a few years, those big leads will turn into outs when she starts running into the better players.

JMHO

Mar 2, 2013
Actually, if you are playing Little League, I am calling your runner out for leaving on the release.

Apr 13, 2013
DD has never play LL, but at 12U you are not allowed to leave the base at the release of the ball? They need to wait until it crosses home plate?

Oct 25, 2009
When my DD caught we had a play for that situation called "open hand." What she would do is run toward the runner and make a fake throw with her throwing hand open and the ball still in the mitt. This only worked once that I remember. As soon as the runner thought the ball was thrown she broke for home at the same time my DD was running toward her. This works really well on aggressive runners.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Actually, if you are playing Little League, I am calling your runner out for leaving on the release.

Little League changed the rule 2 years ago for 12U (majors division) but not 10U (minors). Most leagues have the option to allow DTS and leave on the release for regular season play or play by the "old rules", and for tournament play DTS and leave on the release is standard.

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
You're out there coaching carnival games for your own enjoyment.

Whoa, easy there, big fella. I'm still a little new at being a HC so I'm looking for input and suggestions, not judgments. I still have a lot to learn and that's why I joined here.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the input. The amount of experience on this board is amazing and I'm learning a lot. I've AC'd for a bunch of years but this is the first time I've ever dedicated my time to becoming a student of the game so that I may teach my players correctly as HC. If I can remain humble and absorb as much info as possible I think that I may eventually become a pretty good coach. I have the passion and drive and I believe that's a good start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid