Blocking home plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2012
Does the catcher have the right to block home when she has the ball I saw on ESPN a college game where the runner was called safe because the catcher didn't give the runner path to home. They read the rule on TV but I can't find it in either the little league or ASA rule book looking for the rule?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Does the catcher have the right to block home when she has the ball I saw on ESPN a college game where the runner was called safe because the catcher didn't give the runner path to home. They read the rule on TV but I can't find it in either the little league or ASA rule book looking for the rule?

Yes she does. Only rule is can not block the plate with out the ball.
Young girls, there is better way though, dd broke her arm through both forearm bones in two spots, it isn't worth it!
She was very mad when blue called the girl out, then dd stood up, arm hanging from halfway between her elbow and wrist, ball drops, and blue changes his call to safe.

DW (played d1 1st base) was mad at espn for there comments on a play that 1b blocked the path to a runner. DW said that is what you are suppose to do!

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

There is no rule forbidding a defender from blocking any base. The talking heads usually don't have a clue, so relying on them is tenuous at best.

The rule is that the defender cannot obstruct (impede, hinder, etc.) a runner unless in the act of fielding a batted ball or has possession of the ball. In the NCAA, you can add "if they are about to receive" a thrown ball. ATR is defined as when the ball comes between the runner and defender. That basically means that the ball must get there first. If the runner gets to the defender prior to the ball, it would be OBS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles