Bit of a Scare Saturday

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
DD catching, 2nd inning I believe, first pool game, takes foul ball/tip directly off bat to center of helmet right on forehead. She has taken multiple fouls off helmet before, has always shrugged them off (we know she is Ok when she is snarky in response to inquires on her OKness). this one was different, she started to go get ball, then Blue told her he had it, and she bowed her head. Blue called coaches out. she came into dugout. one of team moms is athletic trainer, and one of coaches is EMT, they checked her out, no signs of concussion, eyes reactive, clear and appropriate responses to questions. she bats next inning (they were batting entire roster),. I checked her helmet carefully, all seems good, cage might have move slightly (like 16th of an inch) askew. came in to catch again in 5th, and catch games 2 and 3 (they had break between games 1 and 2), Sunday got cancelled due to rain.

Schutt air max helmet, one year old. normally, balls skip off to one side or the other (likely why she never seems to have an issue), this one was dead on I guess.

Funny part, she said blue asked her the date, she replied, "....saturday?" 12u girls keep poor track of actual date.

Jan 8, 2019
Please remember that signs of concussion can show up DAYS later! Had a lacrosse friend's DS took a head shot early in a tourney, and no one even noticed. On the way home two days later, he started slurring words. Concussion protocols for 3 months!!

Hopefully, the helmet did it's job 100%, but please continue to watch.

Oct 5, 2017
Western Indiana
What do Dr's do nowadays if you spot those signs and take them to a Dr.?

As a teacher and a coach, it is good to take the student/athlete to get the actual diagnosis. Once a doctor says she has a concussion send a note to school. It will give her more time to get assignments done and help with not having to take test until released and can be better prepared. That will help with the stress of school and let her rest until she is back to full strength.

Mar 28, 2014
In our experience with multiple mild concussions, it was mostly a series of balance and coordination tests. I'm not sure about more severe concussions.
So they give them tests to determine if they are concussed. Then what, order rest for certain amounts of time?

Mar 28, 2014
As a teacher and a coach, it is good to take the student/athlete to get the actual diagnosis. Once a doctor says she has a concussion send a note to school. It will give her more time to get assignments done and help with not having to take test until released and can be better prepared. That will help with the stress of school and let her rest until she is back to full strength.
Do they go back to the Doc to have more tests done later to see if they are clear?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying