Bit of a Scare Saturday

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
So they give them tests to determine if they are concussed. Then what, order rest for certain amounts of time?

Rest, retest, repeat. No clearance to return to activity until ALL symptoms are gone. After that, a progressive return to full activity, assuming there are no further symptoms. For my DD, the last symptom has always been a low-level headache that takes a while (weeks) to go away.

Mar 28, 2014
Rest, retest, repeat. No clearance to return to activity until ALL symptoms are gone. After that, a progressive return to full activity, assuming there are no further symptoms. For my DD, the last symptom has always been a low-level headache that takes a while (weeks) to go away.
This is good to hear. Glad to see extra precautions being taken these days.

Oct 4, 2018
What do Dr's do nowadays if you spot those signs and take them to a Dr.?

Friend of ours fell off a horse.

It was a concussion and doctor's orders were pretty drastic:

No school for a week.
No reading for 3 days.
No TV for 2 days.
No computer, iPad, etc. for 3 days.

First two days stay in bed in the dark.

Medication.

No physical activity of any kind for a week.

Mar 28, 2014
Friend of ours fell off a horse.

It was a concussion and doctor's orders were pretty drastic:

No school for a week.
No reading for 3 days.
No TV for 2 days.
No computer, iPad, etc. for 3 days.

First two days stay in bed in the dark.

Medication.

No physical activity of any kind for a week.
Holy smokes, that would be like going to prison for a young kid these days with all of the technology they're involved with! I can't imagine my DD laying in bed all day with the lights off and not allowed to do anything. Omg. That would be hilarious. lol...............

But again, it's good they take these things more seriously these days. In my day you took some aspirin and went back out there. Hummmmmm, maybe that explains some things about me ................. :)

Nov 8, 2018
Definitely scary stuff. Headache is a classic symptom of a concussion. Balance , cognitive issues are some others. Others mentioned slurred speech etc. they get worse depending on the severity of the concussion.
Obviously avoid further blows to the head for a week or so. Continue to monitor her attitude and cognitive function. How is she thinking , reacting etc. that one people miss. If it all improves , your on the right track and out of the Woods. Anything gets worse. Dr or er.

My dd (pitcher) took a line drive off the top of her mask and head last fall. Now that was scary. Went right down. Never lost consciousness.
Was proud she wanted to stay in. Lol. That was a big NO!

She ended up with a mild headache and her cognitives were off for about a week. Had trouble fielding. Batting. Thinking etc. a mild concussion for sure. She was a Little out of it.
Anyway, keep an eye on her and as I said if she continues to improve you’re good to go.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
Holy smokes, that would be like going to prison for a young kid these days with all of the technology they're involved with! I can't imagine my DD laying in bed all day with the lights off and not allowed to do anything. Omg. That would be hilarious. lol...............

But again, it's good they take these things more seriously these days. In my day you took some aspirin and went back out there. Hummmmmm, maybe that explains some things about me ................. :)

Yeah, we all felt so bad for her.

Sleep, sleep and more sleep. Mom would feed her, talk to her, read books to her. It was a very long week. But as the adage goes, she did get right back up on the horse a week later.

Jan 8, 2019
we r keeping an eye out, had headache sunday but seems good so far :)

Take her in to a doc that knows concussions. (We have a concussion clinic here that is free for 18 and under.) The worst that happens is you spend a couple of hours to have them tell you she is fine. But it could prevent a significant event! Not worth messing with!!

Jun 11, 2013
It sounds like you have it under control. It's so much nicer than the old days with smelling salts and coaches just saying you got your bell wrung and to just tough it out. Just keep an eye out and always err on the side of caution.

Nov 8, 2018
It sounds like you have it under control. It's so much nicer than the old days with smelling salts and coaches just saying you got your bell wrung and to just tough it out. Just keep an eye out and always err on the side of caution.

If I was playing football today I would have been off the field more than on. Especially in college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 1, 2014
USA
As a parent, player or a coach...open your eyes, use caution and be a skeptic with this stuff....we had a kid Tke a shot to the head while playing SS (no mask) this year who had cleared the concussion protocols to return to play (after about a week and a half), so...she gets a chance to come in and start a game in the circle (even though she hadn't really been throwing at all). Somewhere around the 2nd or 3rd innning as she's getting crushed (given up 8 runs already) she has a meltdown, full tears, trembling, etc.. Comes into the dugout and admits that she had hit her head in the OF the day before in practice but never told anyone! Yep, back on the bench and had to redo all of the time off and retesting before she could play again. Don't try to be a hero like we used to do!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee