Biggest takeaways from 10U to 12U transition...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 24, 2022
2 things:

1) The play isn't over just because you make an out in the field. If you don't know where to throw the ball - cutoffs, lead runner, etc., teams will run all over you. First to third on a bunt or a ground out, delayed steals, second to home on a ground out, just taking extra bases. Know what you are doing with the ball at all times.

2) Pitchers need speed or spin. At 10U the biggest concern is throwing strikes. Not to say that isn't important at 12U, but girls will crush strikes if you don't have speed or spin. A girl that can throw change ups for strikes is a valuable asset.

Of course, there is also dropped third strike and tagging up to make sure they know about.

Aug 23, 2016
2) Pitchers need speed or spin. At 10U the biggest concern is throwing strikes. Not to say that isn't important at 12U, but girls will crush strikes if you don't have speed or spin. A girl that can throw change ups for strikes is a valuable asset.

Pitchers also need to hit their spots. By 12U, girls are crushing pitches that get too much of the plate. In 12U I saw a lot of girls with average speed and decent-but-not outstanding spin who were able to dominate because they could put the ball exactly where they wanted it to go (not only within the strike zone but just outside of the zone as well).

Apr 11, 2016
From my experience the big power hitters were more prevalent at 14U. You can play small ball at 12U and be real competitive. Defense is a bigger deal at 12U. If you can make the routine plays and have OF's that can catch the balls you will do fine.
I was about to say small ball too. If someone got on base, the next hitter should try to move the runner. Pop ups are the worst, since batter is out and runners are not moved. Practice with live pitching helps them gauge ball speed, timing, and distance. I have no idea why tons of coaches do not like doing live pitching during practice. Even if the players are bunting off these pitches, it'll help them. Bunting is a good skill to learn at this age.

Sep 29, 2020
Pitchers also need to hit their spots. By 12U, girls are crushing pitches that get too much of the plate. In 12U I saw a lot of girls with average speed and decent-but-not outstanding spin who were able to dominate because they could put the ball exactly where they wanted it to go (not only within the strike zone but just outside of the zone as well).
Whats average speed that your referring too?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles