Biggest takeaways from 10U to 12U transition...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
as @pattar indicated, its pretty simple. Make sure your DD is getting better outside of practices and if you're the coach, make sure that your parents know this is how players develop. Funky throwing will be hard to overcome as they get older. Same with the swing. A universal is that a strong arm and a simple and powerful swing gets more and more important as they get older.

Every division move up is a jump that seems huge but in hindsight seems pretty reasonable. Enjoy!

Mar 4, 2015
New England
We will be transitioning from 10U to 12U in about 1 month. Whats the biggest differences everyone noticed when doing so? I hear alot that big power hitters are a must!!! But our team consist of some of the quickest girls around the area, so you can imagine we dont have BIG power hitters, Just good CONSISTENT hitters that always find a cap somehow. What advice would ya'll give??

In 10U, it's possible to have 3-4 players carry a team because (for various reasons) the best players stand out more from the pack. And that can be especially true with the shorter pitching distance and girls who get big and stronger quicker than others. In 12U, and the further you go up, you can't cover your weaknesses as well. The full roster becomes more important, IMO. Being solid lower in the order and in the outfield become more important. And while the team with the best pitcher is always the biggest weapon at any tournament, it's harder for that best pitcher to stand out among the rest as you go up in age.

Sep 29, 2020
In 10U, it's possible to have 3-4 players carry a team because (for various reasons) the best players stand out more from the pack. And that can be especially true with the shorter pitching distance and girls who get big and stronger quicker than others. In 12U, and the further you go up, you can't cover your weaknesses as well. The full roster becomes more important, IMO. Being solid lower in the order and in the outfield become more important. And while the team with the best pitcher is always the biggest weapon at any tournament, it's harder for that best pitcher to stand out among the rest as you go up in age.
By best pitcher, Do you mean fastest pitcher?? Or just a very very very reliable, consistent pitcher that throws strikes?
Reason I ask is my DD is a pitcher 🤣 She is 10yrs old ATM and throws consistently at 48-49mph.I know in 12u she'll lose alot of speed but she does however have a crazy good A class defense.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I think referring to 13 year olds as women is quite the stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By best pitcher, Do you mean fastest pitcher?? Or just a very very very reliable, consistent pitcher that throws strikes?
Reason I ask is my DD is a pitcher 🤣 She is 10yrs old ATM and throws consistently at 48-49mph.I know in 12u she'll lose alot of speed but she does however have a crazy good A class defense.
When facing a good and experienced 12U team, by the 3rd inning it will be "sky rockets in flight, afternoon delights." The top 2nd year 12u teams will have women playing.

Mar 4, 2015
New England

I was answering the question more from a team perspective as opposed to an individual player. Since it's harder to blow balls by hitters, the pitcher needs more help in 12U. In 10U, if you've got a hard-throwing pitcher with decent control, it's pretty tough on 10U hitters because of their lack of reaction time from that distance, the hitters' lack of experience and lack of body control at that age. Those pitchers are hugely valuable and can carry otherwise mediocre teams at 10U. Not as easy to do at 12U.

As for whether the move to 12U hurts those types of pitchers or the consistent/middling types, not sure. The hard-thrower will be able to reach that 40 foot distance more comfortably. So while it's harder to dominate, her speed will always be an asset. And then you'll have hard-throwers who by age 12 have grown into their bodies and start throwing strikes, and they move up the ladder. But on the other hand, other aspects of pitching become a little more important (control, movement, mental toughness) since you can't just rely on the speed/reaction time. My guess is that if your DD was good in 10U, she'll still be good, especially if she enjoys the game enough to keep practicing and developing. Sustained passion/love of the game is probably the best predictor.

Jun 20, 2015
They will have 18 year olds playing? I wasn’t aware of that. Thanks for filling me in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When (or if) you face a full team of 2nd year 12u players and they all look like they drove themselves to the field, you'll understand. Few years ago faced a team who's shortest player was taller than my tallest player. yeah, it was an ugly slugfest.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Dropped 3rd strike is something to start teaching the kids. Both for your hitters and your defense. Even playing in 14u B, girls forget. We've given up easy outs and have also been the benefactor of other teams screwing it up.

Teach your catcher and 1B how to work together to get that out. As well as when to NOT make that throw. Be patient with it. They've played x-amount of years not having to think about it.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
12U starts to look like real softball. We had a girl on our team that was a foot taller than anyone else. She was the first kid that I saw hit an OTF HR for my team...on a 220 field. My DD caught up to her height in HS.

I wouldn't be concerned if you don't have any big girls on your team. I have seen many smaller kids hit better than the big ones. You can't control size. Speed and good contact is more important.
1652883898906.png

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
(Girls/ Women Boys/Men...For that matter, Referring to people as adults doesn't mean much either...
🙈🙉🙊)

There are different type of conversations that the girls will be having because of their age and their female bodies development maturing into teenagers. But those are the same types of conversations they will have in school.

Size maybe relevant to strength.
But mechanics and coordination get more defined as players get older and put in more reps. With that, size may not matter when it comes to crushing the ball.
Bigger may not be better but bigger can seem more intimidating.

Softball while has age brackets does not determine ability.
Softball is Talent levels.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles