Better full 2000 team or split 99 and 2000?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 6, 2010
Florida
We are a team that just finished our spring 10u season. The core of the team is moving up to 12u in the fall. My question is, would it be better for uour team to try and consist of only 2000's or should we load the team with 1/2 99's an 1/2 2000's.
My thought is we should try to ease the 2000's into the 12u with the 99's, so they can rely on the experience of the 99's. Any suggestions would be great

Jun 25, 2009
Take your lumps as a 2000 team. Pick your tournaments and make sure the girls get challenged. You will reap the benefits next spring, and it will make you better in the end.

Nov 8, 2010
good timing! we have struggled with this very thing. our team, which is about half 2000 and 2001 bdays is finishing up our 10u schedule this weekend. we discussed splitting the team and decided to move forward as a group for the most part w/ tryouts. we tried out 26 players, including those on our existing team. as it is shaping up, we will enter 12u this fall with about 1/3 of team with 2000 bdays, the majority with 2001 bdays and one 99 bday. we will be a "young" 12u team but are looking forward to the challenge. i'm sure we will take our lumps initially but we are hopeful that making this move will help these girls become better players and leaders!

Dec 6, 2010
Florida
The organization we are in is trying to field two teams. The existing 99 team has about 1/2 of thier team coming back, and will be looking for 99 players only when we have tryouts. I'm ok with a 2000 only team, but just don't believe that there is enough travel ball ready players around the area. 12u will give us our lumps, but i believe that with the right coaching this sometimes makes the girls more wanting the challenge.

Nov 1, 2009
At the younger age groups the age is important but if you plan to keep the girls together for a long time then the grade they are in may end up being more important. If you have a split but they all are in the same class together they will all enter HS at the same time and that is a huge benefit down the road.

Dec 6, 2010
Florida
We are in a organization that is in another town because in our home town we had a at least 6 2000's and at 3 99's that could play travel ball, but unfortunately the parents are not looking down the road and realizing that over half of these girls are getting ready to play middle school ball together. With the hopes of ending up playing HS ball together. Just don't understand parents sometimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1