Best way to hit a change-up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thank you Vdubya. Just went back, read, and enjoyed your post.

The kids this pro was having to deal with were decent ..... but his message was to first work on getting darn good at hitting the fast ball. Get the sequence hammered down solid first ... to the point where he didn't want to give the notion of working on a change-up a second thought.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
-------------------
That's why when pitching to players in every learning session, change speeds and location with every pitch....If their swing doesn't adjust, they got the wrong sequence....

A tee won't cut it....

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
A tee really won't cut it.

Bluedog had the following advice at one point.

Bluedog:

It's about pitch recognition.....

MLB hitters know how to use their vision effectively....Amateur hitters do not......The location and speed of the pitch should determine the timing of the swing sequence....This is what MLB hitters do.....

1) Recognize speed and location of the pitch
2) Time the sequence

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
i8wZg3tXXrAm5.gif

Oct 27, 2009
I did not read throughout the thread to see if this has been touched on or not but this is my thought and it may not work for everyone. If you have a kid strong enough to generate enough power with their hips and upper body without a stride, then widen their base and convert the hitter to a no-stride approach at an early age. With this approach they can wait the extra split second before dropping the heal to initiate the swing. The other key thing is for them to be on the pitch plane and long through the zone.
It is difficult for a stride hitter to hit the change because if they have the correct approach where the hitter is thinking yes, yes, yes on every pitch getting everything moving towards iniating the swing and getting that front foot down to start rotation to get the swing on time for the pitch the timing has to be perfect for everything to work. The only other way for the stride hitter to delay the swing is if they are able to hover the stride foot just long enough to compensate through early pitch recognition. In my opinion there are too many moving parts and head movement for a stride hitter. No stride is a matter of drop the heal and go. Anyway that's the way I see it and what has worked for my DD.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06