Best way to hit a change-up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
SSpike_zps5f6b4bce.gif
altuve-swing.gif

Here I fixed it. Mann I crack myself up.

Mar 24, 2014
My DD's team tries to use live pitching as much as possible to identify CU. At home we use different drills than what the team is doing just for something different. Both my kids were not able to hit a CU, then started doing a tennis ball drill where you front toss a tennis ball once bounce to the batter. Forces them to stay back on the ball to drive it. Vary the location of the bounce will change the height of the incoming tennis ball.

This drill, incorporated with their team practices, seemed to be the best for my kids to learn how to hit a CU.

Nov 12, 2014
NEMO
At the CWCS, one of the teams facing Waldrop said they sat on the changeup the whole game, and caught up to the fastball.

Nov 13, 2014
BondsvBonds.gif

Learn to do what Bonds is doing on the left and the right. Easier to see on the right side. Then your hitter will be equipped to hit the CU or any other pitch thrown at them.

I alternate FB-CU to my DD when doing front toss. I want to to see if my DD is able to 'match' Bonds on the right side of the gif.

He looks as if he's loaded and then pauses...I hate the load and hold teachings. Is Bonds really pausing here? I think not. I teach more of a sequential load and not a load and hold. Not one post has described how to hit a change up properly imo. I'm interested in your thoughts on this topic. And in my playing days I can tell you that mlb players guess a lot also, sometimes guys that never played the game get to mechanical, make it to complicated. Peter Edward Rose thinks Ted Williams was a nut with all his hitting verbiage and studying. Pete said he couldn't hit like that, thinking about all that crap.

Jan 24, 2009
A former pro told me that the absolute best way to deal with the change-up was to hit the fast-ball.

He wasn't joking either.

I may not have mentioned it in post#5 a few years ago FFS, but I'm actually NOT a former pro. And before you ask, yes I do have video evidence to prove it. ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes