Best tablet for iscore app?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Thanks for the input everyone. If I go with a 7" instead, what functions would I be missing out on? If it's pitch location, I don't need that. What else?

You won't miss any functionality, it's just more difficult to use on a smaller screen due to the level of detail. There is a lot of text in iScore, and it's just harder to read on a smaller screen. Like I said, my iPad mini (7.9") is adequate for iScore, but I wouldn't consider smaller for that app. JMHO, YMMV and all that! :D

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I don't agree with your post at all. I've been scoring with iScore for two years now on my Galaxy Note 2 and now on a Galaxy S6, and I've had no problems with it. I score everything, including pitch locations. I've used a tablet (my trusty Motorola Xoom) on occasion, so I know both experiences, and I don't have any problems whatsoever using a phone to score a game.

Obviously, you're not my age and using bifocals;)

Dec 2, 2012
I've used an iPad Mini over the last 4 years to score upwards of 500 games. I like the size and weight of the Mini vs a full size tablet (used a first generation iPad for about a year). I'm 53 years old and wear bifocals (getting old isn't for sissies) and have never has any problems using the smaller screen. I don't want to get into an iPad vs Android debate, but I would definitely use an iOS device. In my opinion, the android version of iScore just isn't as refined as the iOS version. A friend tried using a Nexus 7 with the Android version and I found it "clunky". YMMV

10 minutes ago I ordered an iPad Mini 4 to replace my original Mini.... if you're interested in a very clean iPad Mini 64g with Verizon 4G, let me know. I'll make you a deal you can't refuse.

Jun 11, 2013
I like a the standard size Ipad, but it's a problem when it gets very hot out. I have to keep in a cooler between innings.

Dec 2, 2012
I like a the standard size Ipad, but it's a problem when it gets very hot out. I have to keep in a cooler between innings.

I had the same problem with the original, full-sized iPad. No problems since going to the Mini, but that may be due to the kind of case I use. At the time the full sized iPad overheated, I was using a bulky leather case. When I switch to the Mini, I chose the iFrogz Breeze case, which is light, and allowed the tablet to breath/dissipate heat. http://www.amazon.com/iFrogz-Breeze-Case-iPad-IPMBZ-SLBK/dp/B00AB9ZUOG. When it gets very hot I sometimes take the iPad out of its case and try to keep it shaded and allow any wind to hit the fully exposed back side of the Mini.

The first time iPad shut down due to heat....it made for an interesting game. By that time, I no longer carried a backup paper score book, so recreating things from memory was interesting.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
It is important to note that the majority of heat related issues with mobile devices is due to direct contact of the sun to the screen. I have successfully been able to make an iPad overheat even on a cool day, just by allowing full sun to bounce off the screen for a long period of time. Even something as redneck as a cardboard hood shading the screen will allow the devices to stay running on even the hottest days.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma