Best 16u strategies for runner on 3rd and hitter walks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 7, 2022
Just curious what you believe for a 16u team is the best strategies for keeping the player that walked from going to 2nd since there is a runner at 3rd. I understand the rule, just was curious about strategies used.

Oct 26, 2019
Just curious what you believe for a 16u team is the best strategies for keeping the player that walked from going to 2nd since there is a runner at 3rd. I understand the rule, just was curious about strategies used.
Don’t walk her is the best strategy :)

For us, it all depends on the score and situation in the game. A lot of offensive teams do it at the stupidest times. A team this fall ran it against us in the fourth inning down by five with no outs. We happily took the out at second (traded the run for the out). The run probably would have scored anyway, and we were able to clear the bases and get an out which is a big rally killer. Ironically, the other team celebrated scoring the run, as if they had accomplished something.

If I care about the runner at third scoring we will full arm fake the runner heading to second and back pick the runner at third. If we get her grade and if we don’t, it at least makes teams think about doing it again while not giving up the run. To use the Look-back rule to our advantage I tell the girls to keep the ball in their glove in the circle until the runner is getting close to second before we arm fake.

Would love to hear others and how they defend. We don’t see it much against us anymore.

May 27, 2013
Never really saw it much once we got passed 14U. A lot of times it seems that if the pitcher has the ball in the circle and keeps an eye on the runner on the walk down to 1B to make sure she stops at the bag you don’t see it happen as much. Many times also putting 2B on second base right after the walk might cause them to think twice. At least that way if the runner starts to break to 2nd it’s more believable that the pitcher will throw to 2B on a fake throw if the fielder is already at the bag. Then if runner at 3B breaks, go after her.

May 20, 2015
2b up close to baseline 1/3 of way to 2nd

Pitcher in circle watching runner going to first....coach should be watching the runner at 3rd and calling for look back violation if runner is off bag after runner hits first.....they must make immediate decision

If batter runner continues towards 2nd, most 16u teams should be able to make throw to 2 base in the baseline for the out AND get the runner if they break for home

May 16, 2016
Illinois
2b up close to baseline 1/3 of way to 2nd

Pitcher in circle watching runner going to first....coach should be watching the runner at 3rd and calling for look back violation if runner is off bag after runner hits first.....they must make immediate decision

If batter runner continues towards 2nd, most 16u teams should be able to make throw to 2 base in the baseline for the out AND get the runner if they break for home

I think this is one of the better strategies. Have the 2nd baseman 1/2 to a 1/3 between 1st and 2nd base. The idea is to just get a stalemate unless the offense does something stupid.

The problem with the 2nd baseman being in the baseline, is that a good team that practices this scenario a lot (Beverly Bandits) will have the walked batter (or a live batter on a hit) run through first base all the way to the edge of the grass. Then she starts toward 2nd base. This play is much more difficult to defend when the runner is that deep in the infield as she is going towards 2nd base.

The other way is have the SS cover 2nd base and go for the out if the situation is right.

Feb 24, 2022
I also like having the catcher/pitcher immediately throw to first. This tends to confuse the batter going to first and throws the timing of the play off. Of course, you need to have a girl at first with a good arm to throw home if the runner at 3rd breaks for home.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I also like having the catcher/pitcher immediately throw to first. This tends to confuse the batter going to first and throws the timing of the play off. Of course, you need to have a girl at first with a good arm to throw home if the runner at 3rd breaks for home.
I agree with this strategy. The issue I have is how does the play end? Eventually the ball has to go back to the circle, and both runners can take off. While it does prevent the continuation from happening right away, it doesn't stop it completely.

Oct 26, 2019
The just of the play for the offense is to try and take advantage of a defense that has insufficient catching and throwing ability. How you defend it usually circles back to that in some way. In baseball you see the same thing at the youth levels with first and third plays. You rarely see them in college and never in the pros because the infield arms are just too good.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee