Best seams for pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2013
So I now know that my DD is not impressed with any of the balls that I can locate at my local Dick's and has relegated them to being tee balls. I am going to have to break down and order some on-line for pitching practice. What do my DFP friends suggest??

Nov 1, 2008
I like to get balls which are approved by the sanctioning body that she'll be pitching under that season. Last year during the summer we used official Dixie softballs. In the fall we switched to some NFHS balls for use in AHSAA. Make sure you get leather and not synthetic.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
That's because most of the balls sold in the big name chains are garbage. If you want good softballs, most of the time you have to order. Heck, the Dicks/SA's charge top dollar for garbage, why not get better stuff for probably same money.

There are stores out there that buy in so much bulk you can get good deals on dozens.

You are gonna pay top dollar for leather but they are the best. Pro comp balls are very good also. Synthetic is the cheapest of the three.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD prefers the Worth Dream Seam. We usually use previous game balls that are in good condition.

Trump balls are a good choice if your DD likes higher seams.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Try and buy the balls used by most of your local tournaments. Around here that is Baden's blue seam - where you are - you know better than us...

In reality, almost any name brand leather ball is going to be good for practice. If they used leather to make the ball, then they were looking to make a better ball if they used any of the other materials.

Closeoutbats.com often has decently priced leather balls but there is always a sale some place get a deal (though often balls are excluded) - right now if you can get in the $50/dz range (including shipping) you are doing pretty well.

Jun 12, 2012
Dream seams are good, as are Thunder Advances. I bought some Champros and they are really nice too.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
We use the Thunder Heat.

Best advice is to make sure they are balls for fast pitch.....I learned the hard way on a dozen I had delivered to the school from a local shop.

Jun 19, 2013
Thanks everyone. I'll find out what we are using for our local ASA tournaments and then go from there. Appreciate all the advice!!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The Dudley Thunder Heat in NFHS, ASA or any other flavor has nice seams and my pitchers love them. Stick to leather. Poly is just garbage.

On a related topic. When your pitcher warms up at a tournament stop by the TD and ask for a game ball or two so they warm up with what they will be throwing in the game. Most TD's are happy to oblige.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves