Best Pitching Accessory

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
Just got back from a backyard pitching session with the DD and want to share with you the best pitchers accessory I have. Like many of you I have a bucket and net setup. Despite my world class catching skills there is the occasional time that the ball gets past me and the net. With a big backyard those balls can roll mighty far. That is why I encourage all of you to get a Cassie 2009.

Cassie is a mixed breed retriever/German shepherd and is almost a year old. We adopted her from the humane society about 9 months ago and immediately included her in our softball pitching sessions. This is the first retriever I have every owned and did not fully appreciate how much retrieving is burned into their genes. The first couple of times she was out with us we had a couple of close calls when she wanted to chase the pitch mid air but she is smart and quickly learned to wait safely off to the side. Now she sits about 10 feet away from me and watches me and the DD with an eagle eye. As soon as a ball gets passed (occasionally) she jets off, retrieves and brings it back to my DD. As I said the best pitching accessory ever.

You may be able to get one of these at your local animal shelter and I would encourage anyone who is looking for a dog to check the shelters first. Thanks.

Oct 22, 2009
We had a cat once that lay on the ground and try to jump up and catch the mid flight pitches. She almost got a hold of a few change-ups!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We have a American Bulldog who was my back up catcher for awhile. Until he learned it was more fun to watch me chase him with the balls than bring them back. Now he goes in the kennel and barks the whole time.

Feb 9, 2009
We have a American Bulldog who was my back up catcher for awhile. Until he learned it was more fun to watch me chase him with the balls than bring them back. Now he goes in the kennel and barks the whole time.

I have an eager little 6 yo two legged hominoid..He LOVES to chase down his big sisiter's errant pitches!!

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
Not to be a downer here - but check the size of dog before you start recruiting one for retrieving. My niece killed her chihuahua with an 'errant pitch' - I always think thats why she quit softball and moved to volleyball.

Mar 15, 2010
Not to be a downer here - but check the size of dog before you start recruiting one for retrieving. My niece killed her chihuahua with an 'errant pitch' - I always think thats why she quit softball and moved to volleyball.

Not a problem for Cassie. 11 months and 105 pounds. Funny part is she is the smaller of our two dogs. The other is about 130.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
Mines broken. It's a Cosmo 2005. I was told he was a Golden Retriever. Turns out he's a Golden Chase Me all over the 40 acre pasture while I chew the cover off the ball. I really hate that dog.

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
Mines broken. It's a Cosmo 2005. I was told he was a Golden Retriever. Turns out he's a Golden Chase Me all over the 40 acre pasture while I chew the cover off the ball. I really hate that dog.

We have one like that - his is a Louisiana Catahoola hound, some call them a Leopard hound. The book said he was 'faithful, loyal and protective of his family' . He has some "Chase Me all over the 40 acre" in him too, but he is so stupid he will walk up and lay down right between DD and me, he will follow anyone, anywhere, the only people he growls or barks at are little old ladies walking by in the park. Some bad rear gang banger come by and he will go up and try to lick them to death. This dog has a penchant for destroying tampons, no not ones out of the garbage, he wont go near garbage, he goes into my daughters rooms, finds the unopened boxes, tears them open and shreds them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad