Best fastpitch organization

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
But anyway, rain can happen anywhere and I don't think you can blame the location on mother nature.
That was my point though. 5 different locations were used in Columbus and some of them do not hold water at all. There is zero or no proper drainage at some of the parks. Some of the parks do not have lights. When there is even a little amount of rain drastic measures are taken (cutting out the losers bracket). You can't do that in a state or national tournament.

Other large tournaments would move games, cut down the game times, play late, AND then cut out games in the worst case scenario. USSSA in Columbus can't do that because he has to many teams and not enough proper diamonds with lights and drainage.

Everyone understands rain is a part of travel softball. My point was compared to other large events USSSA in Columbus is lacking.

I agree 100% he needs to move it north to Indy or Grand Park where they have facilities properly suited to handle such an event.

Nov 3, 2012
The USA Elite Select which is the upper end level of USSSA is starting to catch on in the Midwest. They have some good comp in their tournaments and is getting close to PGF. Seeing a lot more USSSA and less USFA and NSA in Indiana and Ohio. ASA has very few tournaments anymore. But a lot of teams go to their National tournament, and still holds some prestige.

Nov 3, 2012
That was my point though. 5 different locations were used in Columbus and some of them do not hold water at all. There is zero or no proper drainage at some of the parks. Some of the parks do not have lights. When there is even a little amount of rain drastic measures are taken (cutting out the losers bracket). You can't do that in a state or national tournament.

Other large tournaments would move games, cut down the game times, play late, AND then cut out games in the worst case scenario. USSSA in Columbus can't do that because he has to many teams and not enough proper diamonds with lights and drainage.

Everyone understands rain is a part of travel softball. My point was compared to other large events USSSA in Columbus is lacking.

I agree 100% he needs to move it north to Indy or Grand Park where they have facilities properly suited to handle such an event.

It doesn't help the Columbus cause that they just permanently shut down the Clarion, the largest hotel in town with the big indoor pool area a couple of weeks before the tournament. This really put a shortage on hotel rooms. It sucks dropping $225 for a Holiday Inn Express in Columbus Indiana.

But also, just like other national tournaments, the first 3 days you play one or maybe two games a day, then you get to the last day and you got to play 6 or 7 games to win it. I know tournaments do this to keep people in their hotel rooms and eating at the local restaurants. I know they had some field time earlier in the tournament and could of got more games in.

But in fairness, most tournaments would have been screwed with the amount of rain we got on Sunday in Columbus.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
The best organization will vary by region. For example, USSSA has been a joke in Ohio for many years. It's been nothing more than rec ball All-Stars for too long. That said, a new director has taken over and has been driving hard to take back their reputation as a top notch organization. In our area ASA rules as far as quality tournaments go while PGF has superior competition but usually pitiable umpiring and venues. NSA around here is mediocre at best and on the wane.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi