Beginner Catching Drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If I wanted to be a catcher and only had $40, I would purchase a copy of the DVD before I bought a catcher's mitt! I consider it the instructional bible of catching.

May 31, 2012
If I wanted to be a catcher and only had $40, I would purchase a copy of the DVD before I bought a catcher's mitt! I consider it the instructional bible of catching.

Great video. Bought it to help my 10yo DD. Her blocking throwing receiving and foot work have all improved. I wish the video had a section on passed balls

Apr 1, 2010
Great video. Bought it to help my 10yo DD. Her blocking throwing receiving and foot work have all improved. I wish the video had a section on passed balls

I assume you mean passed balls with runners trying to score? It does have a little bit, but it's really short. They show how the catcher should run and slide to the ball so that he/she will 1) get to it quickly and 2) be able to have their shoulders in the right position to throw back to the plate.

May 31, 2012
I assume you mean passed balls with runners trying to score? It does have a little bit, but it's really short. They show how the catcher should run and slide to the ball so that he/she will 1) get to it quickly and 2) be able to have their shoulders in the right position to throw back to the plate.

I must have missed that part. But it sounds like we may be on the right track. Sprint slide throw

May 31, 2012
Maybe I missed this too. If the catcher calls location in/out when should they shift or should they shift at all?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Maybe I missed this too. If the catcher calls location in/out when should they shift or should they shift at all?

Yes, they should shift. They should be giving the target with the glove and shifting their feet accordingly after the batter has begun to focus on the pitcher i.e., at some point after the pitcher starts their motion. Subtle and later are better with more experienced hitters as they will use every advantage they can.

And, I don't think you missed it! IIRC, the passed ball footage is in NECC's supplemental video, which can be purchased/downloaded from the website. Of course, I'm old and forgetful so I could be wrong too.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
They should setup before the throw to receive more in a straight line. You don't want a lot of movement of the glove.

The NECC video teaches good fundamentals and will make any kid solid. DD watched it every spring and we referred back to it over the years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877