Beginner Catching Drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 9, 2011
setup before the throw to receive more in a straight line.... ????? I don't agree with that. Number of factors what the catcher does... Runners on base... does the pitcher need a target.... Just depends. runner on base you set up early and show the mitt as a target the runner signal to hitter where the catcher has set up and the target... No runner on base the catcher sets up early shows the target and base coaches telling the hitter catcher location or the hitter feeling/seeing catcher location... Catcher IMO does shift but has to be ingroove with the pitcher and the ump when to shift. Catcher has to get a feeling on ump... what he likes and don't like. Umps are human (sometimes not sure lol)

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I believe the topic was related to the 10-12 age group. You could yell out the pitch and it probably wouldn't help most of them in the box. Coaches or base runners waving arms during the windup would probably do more harm then good.

Dec 9, 2011
It wasn't about the hitter I was talking about the catcher shifting. Just using hitter and coaches as example concerning shifting before the pitch. I'm not concern about age group I think Green just posted something by NECC about no matter how young teach proper mechanics. So should they be teaching propoer mechancs at 10-12?? Just asking... I think they should be taught proper mechanics no matter the age..I agree with the NECC blog...

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
What are you arguing? That a catcher should set up in the middle of the plate to receive the pitch?

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2011
Rockport, MA
First off, thanks for the love everyone!

Secondly, Joe I have to disagree a bit with what you are saying. Partially because I wouldn't teach a college catcher to set up as late as you are describing in any situation. I want my catcher's, at any level, to set up no later than when the ball gets to the 12-o'clock position in the pitcher's delivery.

Having said that, I would actually teach a younger catcher to set up much sooner. My article about teaching proper mechanics at every age was meant to dissuade the assumption that physical limitations of a young athlete will also limit their ability to build good muscle memory. Since the timing of when to setup will differ at each level, we're really not talking about muscle memory here, we're talking about game situations. How each catcher is taught to plan for and approach those situations will differ slightly depending on their age and level of play. There are certain approaches to fielding bunts and passed balls that I won't teach a girl under the age of 14. Same thing with throwing from the knees.

My goal is to allow the catcher enough time to ensure that the mechanics they are implementing are executed properly. Most young catchers will not be able to stop their bodies from continuing to move at the point of ball-impact if they set up that late and they will lose strikes because of it. With softball being an incredibly pitching dominated sport, I really won't concern myself with what information the catcher may or may not be giving away with her early body positioning because A.) There is no guarantee the pitcher is actually going to hit her spot at that age. and B.) The chances that the hitter at that level will be able to do anything with the information is slim to none. Yet, we're willing to risk losing strikes we otherwise would have gotten just to attempt to conceal a piece of information that A.) may not be correct and B.) Is probably worthless? I know I'm not.

There needs to be a rhythm in the timing of setting up for a pitch, but it should not vary based on situation. I cannot tell you how many great pitches/strikes I saw lost last year because of girls setting up late because they were worried about giving location away. Even got a few looks/comments from some umpires I know fairly well in the middle of tournament games trying to figure out why the catchers insisted on waiting as long as possible to get to the location they called for the pitcher to throw the ball to.

The best quote of the summer was from an umpire at the U18 level..."Great, you kept the location a big secret and, in the process, eliminated every chance you had at getting me to call a strike on the corner. I bet your coach and pitcher are thrilled that instead of the batter possibly getting a hit off that information -- that she may not have been able to do anything with --, you've guaranteed that girl will be on first base regardless." This was said in the parking lot after a game with 5 other umpires nodding their heads and laughing.

Jul 10, 2011
Rockport, MA
I've never seen an NECC catcher set up anywhere but dead center.

If this is true, this isn't because they haven't been taught to. Most of the time, it's because their coach told them not to for some strange reason.

We absolutely teach catchers to receive in different positions in relationship to the plate (albeit, only when they get to the point where their pitchers start attempting to locate pitches on the corners).

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
If this is true, this isn't because they haven't been taught to. Most of the time, it's because their coach told them not to for some strange reason.

We absolutely teach catchers to receive in different positions in relationship to the plate (albeit, only when they get to the point where their pitchers start attempting to locate pitches on the corners).

Fair enough, I'll have to review.

Dec 9, 2011
I don't think I typed anything about when the catcher should shift or move or pick there nose. Where did i type about shifting late? Where in my post is that? I was disagreeing with Inside about setup before the throw to receive in a straight line. As go for the umpire comments he needs a lesson on calling games. If he is busy watching my catcher and what they do he needs some help. He should be watching the ball. Maybe he was trying to coach instead of calling the game. Inside not arguing just having some fun.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321