Been asked to coach a new 10U team...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2012
An aquaintence of mine( I coached his dd) runs a new ( started last year) club here in our state. They have a 12u team currently and are starting a 10u team this fall. He called me last night and asked me if I want to run the 10U team for the club. He is a good guy and wants to build this club the right way and truly develop girls.

After hearing what he had to say, I agreed to take the 10U team. There are certain policies the club has already in place, rules, etc.... However, he has given me the authority to do things my way with the clubs full support ( within club guidelines).

So here we go. At least one thing is resolved.........I know where my dd is going to play.

The good news is that I have already recruited 2 very good pitchers/players. My dd is a P and has played everywhere, so I can use her where the team needs her most. Then I recruited and got a commitment from an aquaintence of mine who I also asked to coach with me. His dd is a good little pitcher and she should be a 1B/3B for me as well. Most of all both these kids can REALLY hit.

Now Im going to try and poach a girl from the 10U team my dd was thinking about joining. Her parents have been pretty frustrated with the way thing have gone so far. She is about small enough to fit in my pocket, but the kid has an amazing compact swing and has a nice arm. Lead off hitter/2B comes to mind with this one.

Lastly, it seems like the BIGGEST issue I will have is getting parents who can afford club dues. Many of the girls we are targeting come from poor neighborhoods and dont have much. That is the reason they are even available. Because they have talent but their parents dont have the resrouces to ever give them the opportunity. I have decided that if a player(s) is a good fit for us, we wont let money be the reason they cant play. This may mean a lot more fundraising and a lot more work, but I remember being there when I was a kid and It stunk!

Thoughts???? BTW, My inital thoughts were to have a roster of 12. Any thoughts on this?

I have:

Girl 1: Big, not very fast, good pitcher, great bat, smart player ( P/1B/3B)
Girl 2( dd): tall, fast, good picther, great bat, great bunter (P/SS/C/CF)

How would you fill out the rest of the team? Or at least, how would you try?

Jun 3, 2010
1.A catcher is your next and most important priority.
2. a mobile 3B with a good arm.
3. Outfielders that can run.

Apr 6, 2012
Why do you have to poach another team's player? If she is uncommitted to that team because it is tryouts that's one thing, but if you start out "poaching" other players that are committed to other teams you are starting off wrong. If the parent comes to you, that's different, but you REALLY don't want to be that coach who steals kids. Just be sure you are honest, ethical and above board.

I like that you are giving opportunity to kids who may not be able to afford it.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
10U.....

- Catcher and backup catcher.
-1st base since one of your 2 players will pitch
- Stud fielder to play one of SS/3rd
- Center fielder
- Players who can hit

If you have 2 good pitchers but no decent catcher then you don't really have 2 good pitchers. As an opposing coach the first thing I look at on the other team is whether their catcher is any good (especially in 10U)

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2011
An aquaintence of mine( I coached his dd) runs a new ( started last year) club here in our state. They have a 12u team currently and are starting a 10u team this fall. He called me last night and asked me if I want to run the 10U team for the club. He is a good guy and wants to build this club the right way and truly develop girls.

After hearing what he had to say, I agreed to take the 10U team. There are certain policies the club has already in place, rules, etc.... However, he has given me the authority to do things my way with the clubs full support ( within club guidelines).

So here we go. At least one thing is resolved.........I know where my dd is going to play.

The good news is that I have already recruited 2 very good pitchers/players. My dd is a P and has played everywhere, so I can use her where the team needs her most. Then I recruited and got a commitment from an aquaintence of mine who I also asked to coach with me. His dd is a good little pitcher and she should be a 1B/3B for me as well. Most of all both these kids can REALLY hit.

Now Im going to try and poach a girl from the 10U team my dd was thinking about joining. Her parents have been pretty frustrated with the way thing have gone so far. She is about small enough to fit in my pocket, but the kid has an amazing compact swing and has a nice arm. Lead off hitter/2B comes to mind with this one.

Lastly, it seems like the BIGGEST issue I will have is getting parents who can afford club dues. Many of the girls we are targeting come from poor neighborhoods and dont have much. That is the reason they are even available. Because they have talent but their parents dont have the resrouces to ever give them the opportunity. I have decided that if a player(s) is a good fit for us, we wont let money be the reason they cant play. This may mean a lot more fundraising and a lot more work, but I remember being there when I was a kid and It stunk!

Thoughts???? BTW, My inital thoughts were to have a roster of 12. Any thoughts on this?

I have:

Girl 1: Big, not very fast, good pitcher, great bat, smart player ( P/1B/3B)
Girl 2( dd): tall, fast, good picther, great bat, great bunter (P/SS/C/CF)

How would you fill out the rest of the team? Or at least, how would you try?

Poaching is a part of the recruiting game, but because you're a brand-new team, my suggestion would be to let them come to you, not vice-versa. Don't get that reputation at 10u.

I do agree with your philosophy on the financial concerns, especially for players this age, because if they don't get opportunities now, they're less likely to get good sports opportunities later.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:
May 11, 2012
Why do you have to poach another team's player? If she is uncommitted to that team because it is tryouts that's one thing, but if you start out "poaching" other players that are committed to other teams you are starting off wrong. If the parent comes to you, that's different, but you REALLY don't want to be that coach who steals kids. Just be sure you are honest, ethical and above board.

Very true. Poor choice of words on my part.The particular girl Im talking about was offered a spot on the same team my dd was. Her parents asked if they could attend a couple practices and then decide if it was best for them. They have not committed yet. This week was suppose to be their deadline, so its time to move for me.

I appreciate the input from everyone. Agreed about having a good catcher. Had our first coaches meeting today and we already were able to get one donation for the team and its enough to cover our first set of uniforms( including visors). One of my AC's is an accountant so he is working on getting the paperwork for us to be a non-profit, which will help when it comes to raising money.

Now its time to recruit. This metro area is a little over a million in population. There has to be another 10 able girls out there who want to play some softball! Try outs in 2 weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole