Batting Practice Games/Competitions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2015
i've got two for bunting:

crazy bunt game (super creative name): two teams, each batter gets 2 strikes or one fair bunt attempt.......we draw zones out in front of plate & down each line where we want bunts to stop.......get a bunt down fair/1 pt.......stop a bunt in the zone...2 points.....we'd play 2-3-4 'innings' at the end of practice.....everyone gets 1 bunt per inning

crazier bunt game - same as above, but we'd put a defense out there.....P/C/3b/2b/1b......drop a bunt down fair - one point......beat out the bunt - 3 points......defense gets the pit, 3 points for the defense

kids liked it, good way to end practice, they got pretty good at it by the time we hit 16u........and not too many teams had bunt success against our D

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Cage matches. Divide the tunnel in thirds vertically up to the pitching plate. Thread a yellow 1/4 inch rope up through the net. 1st third is a foul ball, second third is a single and third part is a double. Hang signs if possible on caribeiner hooks. Next, thread a 1/4 inch white rope 2 feet off the ground horizontally from the plate back to the pitching plate. Mark below that "out." Thread the yellow rope behind the pitching plate horizontally in thirds again. Lower third is a single, second third is a double and top third is a HR. Divide the team into 2 teams or three if you have enough pitchers and catchers. Live pitch and catch to batters per team for X number of innings or a set time limit. Coaches call the strikes and balls. A walk or single is worth one point, a double 2 points and a HR is 3. Any hit that hits the ground before the pitching plate is an out. Any hit that hits the top of the net before the pitching plate as well as below any part of the white line is an out. After X number of innings or the time limit set, the team with the most points wins. You can leave ropes up for future use again as long as the facility doesn't mind.

Another of my favorites we call "Texas one hit." Set your pitching machines speed at the mid-range of what they see. Every batter starts with a 3-2 count. They get one "pitch." If they hit it fair or the ball goes wonky and is actually a ball, they go to the back of the line. If they hit it foul, they're out. Last one standing wins.

Next, "Texas one bunt." Set up a series of cones two steps apart starting at the HP and getting closer and closer to the pitching machine. They get one pitch to bunt. Bunt it fair, they move a step up. They bunt it foul, they're out. The one who ends up closest to the machine bunting it fair is the winner. Slowly increase the speed as they get better at it.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Cage matches. Divide the tunnel in thirds vertically up to the pitching plate. Thread a yellow 1/4 inch rope up through the net. 1st third is a foul ball, second third is a single and third part is a double. Hang signs if possible on caribeiner hooks. Next, thread a 1/4 inch white rope 2 feet off the ground horizontally from the plate back to the pitching plate. Mark below that "out." Thread the yellow rope behind the pitching plate horizontally in thirds again. Lower third is a single, second third is a double and top third is a HR. Divide the team into 2 teams or three if you have enough pitchers and catchers. Live pitch and catch to batters per team for X number of innings or a set time limit. Coaches call the strikes and balls. A walk or single is worth one point, a double 2 points and a HR is 3. Any hit that hits the ground before the pitching plate is an out. Any hit that hits the top of the net before the pitching plate as well as below any part of the white line is an out. After X number of innings or the time limit set, the team with the most points wins. You can leave ropes up for future use again as long as the facility doesn't mind.

Another of my favorites we call "Texas one hit." Set your pitching machines speed at the mid-range of what they see. Every batter starts with a 3-2 count. They get one "pitch." If they hit it fair or the ball goes wonky and is actually a ball, they go to the back of the line. If they hit it foul, they're out. Last one standing wins.

Next, "Texas one bunt." Set up a series of cones two steps apart starting at the HP and getting closer and closer to the pitching machine. They get one pitch to bunt. Bunt it fair, they move a step up. They bunt it foul, they're out. The one who ends up closest to the machine bunting it fair is the winner. Slowly increase the speed as they get better at it.
👍 all I needed to like your post was the first two words~
Cage matches!

Jun 1, 2015
👍 all I needed to like your post was the first two words~
Cage matches!

I mean...it's not Hoga/Orndorff from 1987, but could be equally as dangerous. Unless someone's getting thrown off the cage, like HBK/'Taker in 1997, then all bets are off there. :p

Feb 24, 2022
We play a 3 team (3-4 players per team) simulated game. When 1 team is up the other 2 teams are in the field (we have a designated pitcher and catcher). Hit until you get 3 outs (sometimes 2 outs if time is tight) and we keep a running score. Usually get through 2-3 "innings".

May 17, 2012
I just had a dodgeball kit delivered today. Not sure it will help us play softball, but I'll enjoy watching the chaos... Will break it out for the last 15 minutes or so of practice tomorrow night.

I usually end practice with dodgeball or "Monster Island" when practicing indoors.

Monster Island:

1. Basketball court and a half dozen balls (kick balls, softies, dodge balls);
2. One player starts (and stays) in the half court circle everyone else lines up at the baseline;
3. Coaches yell 'Go!' and players must run from one baseline to the other;
4. Players in the middle throw balls and if you are hit you are in the middle with the other throwers;
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until there is one runner remaining;
6. Coaches coral and feed balls during the game.

Without a doubt the most popular thing I have ever done as a coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy