batting line up- having the best chance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2009
NE
I have used the semi-mixed line up the last two years. By that I mean I start with the good OBP and hitters up top but reserve a few towards the bottom by mixing in a mid-level OBP in the top 4-5.

I always seem to come to the last inning and be at that bottom of the lineup needing a run to tie or win. Having someone down there that can help turn over the line up really makes a difference.

Dec 31, 2009
DD's team tracks about everything. Our scorekeeper loves doing the stats, so he includes a lot. One thing our coaches emphasize is Quality at bats. This stat includes hits, walks, sac, rbi, 8 pitches, well placed bunt, and hard hit line drive.

Over the last 3 years I see that some players tend to get on base by error a lot more than others. Mostly these are girls who are fast and hit it hard on the ground. We have an 'adjusted average' stat that includes reaching on error. Some girls get on by error close to 10% of the time every year, this should count for something.

One other thing to consider in the lineup is the speed of your weaker hitters. I would put the fastest of the weakest hitters in the last spots in the order. If the bottom of the order hitters get on base, you will have a better chance of driving them in if they are fast. You don't want a slow runner clogging up the bases when the top of the order comes up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse