Batters standing with back foot in line with front of plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 26, 2008
Just finished a high school tournament out of my area and saw most teams standing this way regardless of the pitcher's speed. Is this a new trend or what?

I have never instructed one of my players to stand that far up. Is there an advantage to it?

Thanks. I thought it was odd but it worked.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Most girls are use to 40' and 40' speed. Mine has been moving up in the box because she is a dead pull hitter. I think once most batters adjust to 43', more will move back in the box.

Now if your still pitching from 40', I don't have a clue. :)

Oct 21, 2009
We have most of the fast players stand up in the box. Since they will bunt alot and we don't like to give it away by moving up in the box when they are bunting so they stay up all the time. Many times the corner infielders will move in when the batter is up in the box thinking bunt. When a hard shot comes off the bat they have less reaction time to get to the ball. Our coach also believes that standing up in the box with both feet in fair territory also gives you a little more area to hit down the lines since the bases are a little further back from the POC than when back in the box. The 2-3 ft difference really doesn't seem to matter much for the hitters since the majority of the time they are ahead of the ball anyway.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
I had one coach tell me he had his girls bat up there when facing a pitcher with good movement regardless of speed. He felt that the batter could hit the ball before the break or movement.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Love facing those coaches. We had 16 K's in a game last year with a team that all were in the front of the batters box. We called rise ball after rise ball.Additionally coaches that MAKE you stand in the front of the batters box are not very smart as that changes your timing and rhythm and if the pitcher has a fast ball and can change speeds they own the hitter….that is a 7 foot adjustment and that affects timing! l

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs