Batter runs into bunt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Game tonight, batter drops one down and runs into it. Dead ball foul was called. OC thought batter was out. I thought she had one foot in the box, maybe didn't have the other foot on the ground. The OC said she had to have both feet in box. I've seen this happen many times and its not contested.
Where is this covered in the ASA rules?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I am not an expert on the rules, but I think the location of the ball determines whether this is a dead ball foul, or if the batter is called out.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
ball was in front of plate. bounced off the gound and hit B-R knee as she started to run.
I think it was her first step and still had one foot in the box.

Mar 2, 2013
The batter-runner is not considered to have left the batter's box until one foot is on the ground outside the batter's box. Theoretically, the ball could be three feet in front of the plate in fair territory and hit the batter-runner's toe just before her foot comes down (while the other one is in the box) and this is a foul ball. On the flip side, a slapper can have her foot on the ground an inch out of the batter's box when the ball comes down and hits her foot and she is out for interference.

So, it has to be (1) a fair ball and she must be (2) out of the batter's box as defined by the rules.

I recall in the WCWS, a left-handed slapper hit the ball and the ball came back up and hit her in the helmet. She was literally three feet up the 1st base line when the ball hit her helmet. The umpire ruled her out, with no argument. However, her stride foot had not come down yet and her back foot was still in the box.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors