batter in the way on catcher throw to 3B

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 23, 2014
No. CA
Definitely a judgement call:
Had this happen twice this spring season, same batter same game. Our batter's fault. We tell them to freeze in the box if we're stealing 3rd. She took a called ball, stepped both feet out of the batters and got nailed square right between the shoulder blades.
Next time up. Same thing but keeps one foot in the box and gets hit in the back again. Ump calls her safe cause of the one foot in the box.
I understand the both feet but the one foot in and one foot out had me baffled. I was just happy she wasn't called out. 12U TB team

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Definitely a judgement call:
Had this happen twice this spring season, same batter same game. Our batter's fault. We tell them to freeze in the box if we're stealing 3rd. She took a called ball, stepped both feet out of the batters and got nailed square right between the shoulder blades.
Next time up. Same thing but keeps one foot in the box and gets hit in the back again. Ump calls her safe cause of the one foot in the box.
I understand the both feet but the one foot in and one foot out had me baffled. I was just happy she wasn't called out. 12U TB team

I'm with you, if batter moved into a position of interference it should have been called even if she kept both feet in the box. At least in my limited understanding.

May 29, 2013
@Lenski - in that video, it doesn't appear to me that the catcher makes even a token attempt to move to the left to clear the batter at all. The batter is clearly still in the box - in fact her back foot is probably 6" from the plate. I assume since the batter is also not intentionally interfering that this would NOT result in an INT call.

Dec 19, 2012
@NoVa - I know. Watch what the catcher did with his left leg before the pitch and watch him drop his elbow and throw sidearm. What the catcher did was intentional IMO. I just found the video and posted it. I also posted other videos as well.....just having fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24