batter in the way on catcher throw to 3B

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2013
The 6+ page discussion on interference over in the rules forum got me thinking about this one. Torn which forum this belongs in, but I think it's more technique/coaching and less rules.

Hypothetical situation: Runner stealing 3B. C sidesteps to clear for the throw to 3B as NECC teaches, but the RH batter has stepped backward out of the box and is now directly in the line of the throw.

Would you expect that the PU would call INT immediately, or wait to see what C does? (we play USSSA mostly)

If there's no immediate INT call, then what should the catcher do at that point? Throw in a direct path to the base (even if that's through the batter at point blank range)? Avoid the batter and hope the throw still gets there (slide further left, throw over the batter, step back in front) Push the batter aside and throw? Yell "OUTTA MY WAY!"? Turn to blue and ask "you gonna call that?"?

I would have thought this would normally draw an immediate INT call on the Batter, but not so sure after several umpires posting on the latest INT thread made it clear they can't assume a player knows what to do and can execute, so they need to see a "quality throw" that has a chance of making an out before calling INT (at least that's what I took away... but that was also a totally different circumstance, so that's why I am asking here.).

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Runner goes, catcher throws. Period. P E R I D. A throw HAS to be made or at least initiated for interference to even be considered. The batter isn't expected to disappear from the box and should be coached to remain in place. If the batter does move and ends up in the way of the side-stepping catcher/in the path of the throw AND the throw hits them or is otherwise affected (i.e., prevents the catcher from following through), it is interference regardless of the batter's intent. This is not carte blanche to fire the ball into the earhole of the batter's helmet, but it does need to be made crystal clear that the throw was affected (without risking breaking a hand on the helmet on the follow through)

May 29, 2013
GM - Thanks! that's more or less what I thought, especially after reading the rules forum thread (and getting a bit schooled there :)).

Unfortunately, I think a lot of kids got it drilled in their heads to back out of the box, especially on a ball in the dirt. (This comes from the classic 10U rec play with a runner coming down the 3B line on a PB and 25 parents and three coaches yelling at the batter -who's standing there oblivious- "back out of the box!").

As for my catchers, I think it will take some training to teach my DD and our other catcher to make the throws just like they practiced them: clear to the throwing lane that's supposed to be there and let it fly on a direct path... and if a runner gets hit by the ball, that's softball sometimes. I'm not in the least worried they'd take a free shot to fire one into the earhole, but I am worried they'd pull up and not throw, or would try to throw over or around the batter (or the batter/runner on a bunt to 1B).

Apr 22, 2015
N.C., USA
Good points. Same throw as usual and if batter is out of the box it is interference if it hits them.

Hit one on the head and others likely to duck quickly.

May 17, 2012
IANAU (I Am Not An Umpire) but I didn't think you had to hit them to get an interference call. If you don't make the throw you are leaving it up to the umpire to determine both intent and interference.

I suggest that my catcher lobs one over the batter and then protest to the umpire with regards to interference. This assumes that the catcher executed the proper footwork to clear the batters box.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Here is the umpire perspective.

Per the definition of interference (an act that confuses or hinders the defense from making a play), interference CAN be called on this play if the catcher does not throw, if the umpire judges that the catcher did not throw because the batter moved into the throwing lane.

In reality on the field, MOST umpires will not call interference if there is no throw. The reasoning being is that if there is no throw, there is no play being interfered with, or the umpire thinking that maybe the catcher was just "faking" a throw or.....

As GM said, "Make the throw, period!"

I would also strongly advise against the advice of "Turn to blue and ask "you gonna call that?"?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
GM - Thanks! that's more or less what I thought, especially after reading the rules forum thread (and getting a bit schooled there :)).

Unfortunately, I think a lot of kids got it drilled in their heads to back out of the box, especially on a ball in the dirt. (This comes from the classic 10U rec play with a runner coming down the 3B line on a PB and 25 parents and three coaches yelling at the batter -who's standing there oblivious- "back out of the box!").

As for my catchers, I think it will take some training to teach my DD and our other catcher to make the throws just like they practiced them: clear to the throwing lane that's supposed to be there and let it fly on a direct path... and if a runner gets hit by the ball, that's softball sometimes. I'm not in the least worried they'd take a free shot to fire one into the earhole, but I am worried they'd pull up and not throw, or would try to throw over or around the batter (or the batter/runner on a bunt to 1B).

Unfortunately, some coaches teach this.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Good points. Same throw as usual and if batter is out of the box it is interference if it hits them.

Hit one on the head and others likely to duck quickly.

The batter's box is not an automatic safe haven as the batter's initial position is the only "protected" location.

Apr 1, 2010
The 6+ page discussion on interference over in the rules forum got me thinking about this one. Torn which forum this belongs in, but I think it's more technique/coaching and less rules.

Hypothetical situation: Runner stealing 3B. C sidesteps to clear for the throw to 3B as NECC teaches, but the RH batter has stepped backward out of the box and is now directly in the line of the throw.

Would you expect that the PU would call INT immediately, or wait to see what C does? (we play USSSA mostly)

If there's no immediate INT call, then what should the catcher do at that point? Throw in a direct path to the base (even if that's through the batter at point blank range)? Avoid the batter and hope the throw still gets there (slide further left, throw over the batter, step back in front) Push the batter aside and throw? Yell "OUTTA MY WAY!"? Turn to blue and ask "you gonna call that?"?

I would have thought this would normally draw an immediate INT call on the Batter, but not so sure after several umpires posting on the latest INT thread made it clear they can't assume a player knows what to do and can execute, so they need to see a "quality throw" that has a chance of making an out before calling INT (at least that's what I took away... but that was also a totally different circumstance, so that's why I am asking here.).

Throw through the batter. I believe the rules may say that the batter simply being in the way should get you the call, but in the real world if you want to get the INT call, the catcher needs to throw to PROVE there is interference. DD has pegged one or two wayward batters in her time. It's not pleasant, but it gets the call.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Carbajal