Batter hits Catcher Scenario - Correct Call?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2009
The situation we encountered this fall is a runner is on 1st base. Runner begins to steal second base, and the pitch is taken by the hitter and called a ball. The ball bounces and is blocked by the catcher. As she picks up the ball and begins her throw, the batter has taken a slight step back and out with her right foot and takes a practice swing hitting the catcher in the head obviously rendering her unable to make a throw down to second. PU/BU confer and send the runner that successfully stole second back to first and let the ball called against the hitter stand.

Proper call?

Jun 22, 2008
No, not correct call. Interference on batter, batter is out runner returns to last base occupied.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
If it was ASA, it is rule 7-6(R) which states that a batter is out if they intentionally interfere with a thrown ball whether in or out of the batters box. Page 82 of ASA rulebook.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
....then catcher knocks out batter! Dont mean to hijack thread, but once in a while remind your batters to be carefull with their practice swings. Dd stole home on wild pitch one game, I looked away just a split, then heard her screaming like I never heard before. She was laying on the ground holding her stomach area lookin at me with panic and screaming. I thought heart attack or burst appendix, it was at least 2 min before someone said "no her team mate hit her with the bat.". She was fine after half hour or so, but it scared the bejeezers out of me.

Oct 3, 2009
If it was ASA, it is rule 7-6(R) which states that a batter is out if they intentionally interfere with a thrown ball whether in or out of the batters box. Page 82 of ASA rulebook.

Thanks for all the responses. I was trying to find the specific rule and this was an ASA tournament so thank you for getting me to the right rule.

Redhot, I do agree with you on the practice swings and what really bothered me is it was done so quickly after she took the pitch.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

Not the proper rule, the batter is not interfering with a thrown ball. It is Q. actively hindering the catcher while in the batter's box or P if out of the box.

Of all the things that should be limited at the plate, it SHOULD be practice swings.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
Not the proper rule, the batter is not interfering with a thrown ball. It is Q. actively hindering the catcher while in the batter's box or P if out of the box.

Of all the things that should be limited at the plate, it SHOULD be practice swings.

Of course you are right MTR, I quoted the wrong one. I would think it's (P) based on the OP's description when they said "..stepped back and out".

And, I realized I didn't quote the other rule that was necessary for this play which is
8-6(C) which states "A runner must return to their base when a batter, batter-runner or runner is called out for interference. All other runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the interference." Page 91 of ASA rulebook if this was ASA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
christian_softballdad3298