Batter hit by pitched ground ball.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
Nothing you really can do. Know when to pick your battles, in a regular rec game, let it be, but if you are in your rec playoffs, then make a stink.

A friend of mine just started umpiring. His 2nd game ever the pitcher wound up to throw but didn't release the ball, illegal pitch, ball. My friend, never seeing that before, called it a no pitch. The coach comes out and said he was wrong. My friend calmly told him " coach, this is my 2nd game ever, I never saw that before so I called it no pitch. You may be right, but I don't know that so my call is going to stand and when I go home I'll look it up. " I thought he handled that perfect.
We once had a play that was called wrong by the umpire. We argued the application of the rule to no avail. While we were sitting around waiting for our next game he came up to us and told us we were right after looking it up. While we would have protested it in bracket it was pool so it wasn't that big of a deal but I thought it was great for him to do so. I think your friend will do fine with that attitude.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Let it go.
As long as consistant rules apply to the other team in the same game.

If part of your journey is to help correctly train umpires, than go that route.
But be prepaired with instructional guidance for umpires after every game. ;)
...for the next ___ number of years.

Aug 25, 2019
We once had a play that was called wrong by the umpire. We argued the application of the rule to no avail. While we were sitting around waiting for our next game he came up to us and told us we were right after looking it up. While we would have protested it in bracket it was pool so it wasn't that big of a deal but I thought it was great for him to do so. I think your friend will do fine with that attitude.
That's good to hear, not only that umpire researched the play, but he told you that he was wrong, shows that he cares about getting better. I've done the same thing a few times and the coaches I told I was wrong were good about it too.

Jun 4, 2019
Softball has some changes that could be made that would make it an even better game. Not attempting to get out of the way is 1 of them. I’ve seen so many players, good players, let a ball roll into their foot. Or just stand there and let a change up hit them. I’ve seen girls crowd the plate and lean their head in to take one off the helmet.

I have no idea who teaches these things, but I view it as a sign of mental illness to not attempt to get out of the way.

ive seen a girl get hit in the head and the ump call in a strike cause she’s been taught to do that. It’s insane.

It needs to be umpires decision if it’s a hit by pitch or if you just stood there or leaned in. College baseball made that rule a few years and I heard softball would follow. Not sure if it did. But it needs to start there and travel down the other leagues ASAP. It’s an epidemic at the rec and travel level.

Aug 25, 2019
In USSSA rules, the batter cannot move into a pitch to get hit, but it says nothing about having to get out of the way, so basically if a pitcher rolls a slow ball towards hitter and hits her foot, that’s a hit batter in USSSA, but that’s not so in USA , which says “if no attempt is made to avoid being hit, the batter will not be awarded first base unless it is ball four”

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
I don't understand why no one has stated the obvious. I am actually a little dissapointed in my fellow DFPer's in not helping a newer member out. The first step you should have taken was calling time in a very loud voice while jumping and holding both arms straight up. Some of the following terms should be used.

"You have to be kidding me!'
"Know the D*@*$ Rules!"
"Where is the UIC?"

If done correctly you will avoid ejection which will enable you to enjoy rolling your eyes at each pitch not called your way and releasing an occasional "Geeez". The key here is to be an inspiration to your team's parents so they can join in the effort to make sure the ump sees things the correct way. Remember at the rec level this game is about fun and development. If you do not do your part to develop the parents they will never survive the terrible officiating in travel ball or the occasional fights in the parking lot during all stars or a "C" class USSSA tourney.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
The only thing that a pitch in the dirt cannot result in is a called strike. If the batter had swung and gotten a hit, or been put out would the umpire still have said it was a ball? You handled it well, but you could have asked the umpire (in a calm, even semi-joking tone of voice) that exact question.

Jun 19, 2016
Some rec leagues play it this way...but usually only at 10U. To be honest at 12U rec you are probably better off for the at bat to continue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish