Batter hit by pitched ground ball.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2016
The only thing that a pitch in the dirt cannot result in is a called strike. If the batter had swung and gotten a hit, or been put out would the umpire still have said it was a ball? You handled it well, but you could have asked the umpire (in a calm, even semi-joking tone of voice) that exact question.
A swing is a strike even if the batter gets hit.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
I don't know how it spread so much that if you get hit with a ball that hits the dirt first it's not a HBP? I promise you it's not just that ump and that team because you hear it all the time.

Some rec leagues play it this way...but usually only at 10U. To be honest at 12U rec you are probably better off for the at bat to continue.

This is how it happens. Then parents (and coaches) think it is the rule and not a local adaptation, then the parents (and coaches) get on a new umpire who is unsure of the rules and they learn the wrong thing.

Sep 19, 2018
In USSSA rules, the batter cannot move into a pitch to get hit, but it says nothing about having to get out of the way, so basically if a pitcher rolls a slow ball towards hitter and hits her foot, that’s a hit batter in USSSA, but that’s not so in USA , which says “if no attempt is made to avoid being hit, the batter will not be awarded first base unless it is ball four”

For some reason, I thought that one of the associations addresses this based on where the ball is. Something like, if the ball is completely in the batters box, they don't need to attempt to move out of the way. but if the ball is not in the batters box, an attempt to get out of the way must be made.

am I nuts?

CoachJ5513

BlueJ5513
Sep 29, 2010
Texas
If a batter is hit by the ball "outside" the batters box then the pitch is a "dead ball - ball" or a "dead-ball strike"

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
For some reason, I thought that one of the associations addresses this based on where the ball is. Something like, if the ball is completely in the batters box, they don't need to attempt to move out of the way. but if the ball is not in the batters box, an attempt to get out of the way must be made.

am I nuts?

Nope, not nuts. In NFHS and NCAA ball, that's the way it is.

In USA ball, no award without attempt to not get hit, but in practice, if a ball is thrown hard enough, the batter is getting 1B no matter what.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Softball has some changes that could be made that would make it an even better game. Not attempting to get out of the way is 1 of them. I’ve seen so many players, good players, let a ball roll into their foot. Or just stand there and let a change up hit them. I’ve seen girls crowd the plate and lean their head in to take one off the helmet.

I have no idea who teaches these things, but I view it as a sign of mental illness to not attempt to get out of the way.

My local team had a monster power hitter, who was dumber than a box of rox, but that's beside the point. She crowded the plate and wore every damn brace and guard you could find. She'd lean into a a pitch or at least stand in and take one for the team if it was inside the box. She wore all her HBPs like a badge of honor.

The problem is she was slower than hell and clogged up the bases. She could crush the ball, but in her peabrain she bravely "wore one" and then planted her slow butt on first base like a damn statue. No one could convince her that her value as a home run hitting RBI machine was being negated by taking one for the team either.

Making matters worse the girl who hit behind her was the state champion in the 100 meters, so the statue on first base negated the blazing speed of the next batter. The sprinter couldn't bunt, slap, steal, or use her speed to take extra bases. That's more on the coach for setting the order that way, but still. I suppose the coach is the same bonehead who encouraged her to get hit by pitches and never used a runner for her, so I guess it makes sense.

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
We have a local rule in the rec league that i umpire. A rolling ball it is the umpires discretion to give the base or not. A "one hopper" in the shin - "Head on down, young lady". Of course the coaches that agree to the rule prior to the season, argue when I call, or don't call, a HBP. I know hard to believe!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1