Batter hit by pitched ground ball.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 19, 2021
We are a 12u small town rec team, so most of the umpires are locals. Last night we played a team with a new coach and an umpire who obviously didn't know all the rules. We had a batter get hit in the ankle by a pitched ball that hit the ground first. The ump said since it hit the ground first she didn't get to take a base. I know that she should've been awarded 1st base, and told the umpire. He insisted so I said ask the other coach. He was new and didn't know. We were visitors and several people in the stands insisted the ump was right. I didn't pursue the issue but I did tell the other coach after the game that he needs to look up the rule and inform his umpire. The batter was hit again in the same at bat only this time in the ribs, which hurt a lot more than the other one. How should this have been handled?

Aug 25, 2019
If the ball hit the ground then the batter, that's still a hit batter, she should have taken first base. Now there is a rule that a batter should attempt to get out of the way. Did the ball come in fast and one hopped the hitter, that's first basr, but if the ball kind of bounced a few times and slowly hit the batter that didn't try to move, that's a ball, but like you said, the umpire probably doesn't know the difference.

As to how to handle it on your part, I think you did it right by questioning the ump ire, if he doesn't know the rules, then leave it at that. No need to make a big scene during game time in a sec game but if the umpire is so bad, contact your league head (or their league head) Rec ball is where the newest umpires usually start. Hopefully he went home and looked up that rule and not do it again.

Last edited:
May 19, 2021
It was one hop and she didn't have time to move. She would have if she could've cause she hates getting hit.

Jun 11, 2013
I don't know how it spread so much that if you get hit with a ball that hits the dirt first it's not a HBP? I promise you it's not just that ump and that team because you hear it all the time. Even at upper level games.

Nov 18, 2015
We are a 12u small town rec team, so most of the umpires are locals. Last night we played a team with a new coach and an umpire ... How should this have been handled?

Given the parameters quoted above - you handled it pretty well. Tournament or playoff game, maybe ask for help from a TD/UIC/league official - if the runner would impact the outcome.

Key words - local, rec, new. You tried. Your parents know you tried. That’s about all you could do.

Here’s another way of looking at it. Later that evening, ump goes home, checks the rule book, and is now thinking “oops - he was right. You know, if it was that *#%! coach from my first game last week, that wouldn’t have gone so well”.

You may have just made a friend in blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2015
I don't know how it spread so much that if you get hit with a ball that hits the dirt first it's not a HBP? I promise you it's not just that ump and that team because you hear it all the time. Even at upper level games.

This surprises me if it’s still happening at upper levels. I mean - did they just start umping / coaching at 16U? Are their pitchers unicorns, and have never bounced a pitch before?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 25, 2019
I agree but the umpire insisted he was right so what's a person to do?
Nothing you really can do. Know when to pick your battles, in a regular rec game, let it be, but if you are in your rec playoffs, then make a stink.

A friend of mine just started umpiring. His 2nd game ever the pitcher wound up to throw but didn't release the ball, illegal pitch, ball. My friend, never seeing that before, called it a no pitch. The coach comes out and said he was wrong. My friend calmly told him " coach, this is my 2nd game ever, I never saw that before so I called it no pitch. You may be right, but I don't know that so my call is going to stand and when I go home I'll look it up. " I thought he handled that perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1