Batter hit by pitched ground ball.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
We are a 12u small town rec team, so most of the umpires are locals. Last night we played a team with a new coach and an umpire who obviously didn't know all the rules. We had a batter get hit in the ankle by a pitched ball that hit the ground first. The ump said since it hit the ground first she didn't get to take a base. I know that she should've been awarded 1st base, and told the umpire. He insisted so I said ask the other coach. He was new and didn't know. We were visitors and several people in the stands insisted the ump was right. I didn't pursue the issue but I did tell the other coach after the game that he needs to look up the rule and inform his umpire. The batter was hit again in the same at bat only this time in the ribs, which hurt a lot more than the other one. How should this have been handled?
I coach and officiate another sport (in addition to coaching softball). Have been doing both for many years. My policy is that if I am coaching and I see a wrong call made, I quietly give my opinion and ask the official to check the rule when he/she gets home. I always say "You might be right, but I don't think so. Let's both be sure for next time." I make it clear that I am on their side and just want the right call made in the future. That goes a long way toward everyone leaving the field in a good mood. If it's a judgement call, unless positioning is bad, there is nothing to be done and it's rarely worth saying anything. There is nothing gained by making a production of it or trying to get a call changed. Just make sure the official/umpire is paying attention and doing his/her best. A wrong call or two is not the end of the world, especially on a 12u level. No one is playing for money or scholarships at that point, and the landfills are full of 12u trophies discarded by young adults.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
My local team had a monster power hitter, who was dumber than a box of rox, but that's beside the point. She crowded the plate and wore every damn brace and guard you could find. She'd lean into a a pitch or at least stand in and take one for the team if it was inside the box. She wore all her HBPs like a badge of honor.

The problem is she was slower than hell and clogged up the bases. She could crush the ball, but in her peabrain she bravely "wore one" and then planted her slow butt on first base like a damn statue. No one could convince her that her value as a home run hitting RBI machine was being negated by taking one for the team either.

Making matters worse the girl who hit behind her was the state champion in the 100 meters, so the statue on first base negated the blazing speed of the next batter. The sprinter couldn't bunt, slap, steal, or use her speed to take extra bases. That's more on the coach for setting the order that way, but still. I suppose the coach is the same bonehead who encouraged her to get hit by pitches and never used a runner for her, so I guess it makes sense.
I like the way you think.

May 29, 2015
Nope, not nuts. In NFHS and NCAA ball, that's the way it is.

In USA ball, no award without attempt to not get hit, but in practice, if a ball is thrown hard enough, the batter is getting 1B no matter what.

I am a bit of a warped person ... After I call a batter back to the plate when she made no effort to get out of the way, I usually get to fo one of my favorite things in USA Softball. Typically the befuddled batter is followed by the first base coach who immediately starts in with his case.

I look at him. I calmly listen. I nod a few times. I say "Mmm-hmm." Then I say "You are absolutely correct coach." At that point the coach gets that befuddled look on his face and I continue, "She does not need to make an effort to move in NFHS/USSSA. But we are playing under USA rules and she still has to make an effort to move in their rules."

Also, yes, I have called a strike on a girl who got hit in the face. I'm heartless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1