Batter hit by pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2011
Had a call last night that I wanted to see how it was handled other places.

Inside pitch.....batter appears to be swinging.....ball hits the knob and the batters hand and trickles into fair territory. Batter never leaves the box. She is thrown out at first and called out. Is that correct or should it have been a HBP and the batter awarded first base. Or could it go either way depending on the discretion of the umpire.

Thanks.

May 23, 2008
If the ump doesn't call dead ball, he immeadiatly determined that it was a hit ball.
If it hits your hands or you WHILE swinging it is a dead ball strike.
If it hits your hands or you NOT swinging, out of the strike zone it is a hbp.

May 13, 2011
The umpire determined the ball did hit the bat knob and may have hit the batters hand, but it was a fair ball and on a swing the hands were part of the bat.

Jun 22, 2008
Hands are never part of the bat. If the ball did in fact hit her hands and she was swinging, it is a dead ball strike.

Nov 1, 2009
Knob=ball in play
Hand=foul ball or HBP

Umpires have a very difficult time with this type of play. If you feel it was HBP then you can ask for assistance from the other ump and most likely the HP ump will allow it.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
No way could many people have had much of a chance, to see the ball hit the hand and the knob. Perhaps, the ump went by his experience and what he saw and heard and how the ball reacted.

I agree that the hands are not part of the bat. Many people think that any time the ball hits the batter, she gets her base. That isn't so, for the reasons stated above.

I have to wonder why the batter stood in the box, but the fielders, knew it was a fair ball and threw her out?

Nov 1, 2009
No way could many people have had much of a chance, to see the ball hit the hand and the knob. Perhaps, the ump went by his experience and what he saw and heard and how the ball reacted.

I agree that the hands are not part of the bat. Many people think that any time the ball hits the batter, she gets her base. That isn't so, for the reasons stated above.

I have to wonder why the batter stood in the box, but the fielders, knew it was a fair ball and threw her out?

Maybe she was shaking her broken fingers to reduce the pain.

Jan 15, 2009
Once it hit the knob it was a batted ball. Once the batted ball hit her hands (while still in the batters box) it should have been a dead ball foul (only a strike if less than 2 strikes at the time) does not matter where it fell and this is no different than hitting the ball off your ankle or leg..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission