Batter delaying game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
Situation: We are visiting team, bottom of the 5th, score 3-2. We are down by 1 run. 5 minutes left on the clock. The opposing team (home team) comes up to bat and begins stall tactic by having the batter step out of the batter’s box after every delivered pitch to “take a signal”. The USSSA rule states:

A batter shall not delay the game by failing to promptly take his position in
the batter’s box within 10 seconds of the pitcher having the ball in the
pitching circle, or by stepping out of the box when the pitcher is on the
pitcher’s plate

With this delay tactic going on, I instructed DD to pitch as soon as the batter was in the batter’s box and the PU did not signal time.

DD strikes out batter 1, DD strikes out Batter 2, DD gets to 2-2 count on batter 3 when game was called due to time expiring. Each batter was taking at least a full 10 seconds between each pitch, and then once they entered the batter’s box, would take another few seconds getting feet set. On several of the DDs delivered pitches to these three batters, the batters were caught off guard when the pitch was delivered because they were not paying full attention to the pitcher once in the box.

After the game DD and I discussed the situation and she asked the question: how quickly can the pitcher deliver the pitch once the batter enters the batter’s box? In this case the batter would step outside the box, take the sign, then step back in, then get set (look at feet, hands, generally fidget around etc…). If the batter is in the box and fidgeting around, and the PU does not call time, can she deliver the pitch, even if they are not paying attention?

Sep 3, 2009
My understanding, is that as soon as the batter steps in the box, and doesn't have their hand up, and the PU doesn't have their hand up, the pitcher can pitch. Could be wrong.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I very seldom get this right but ASA:

1) The pitcher shall take or appear to take a sign from C ….
2) The P will bring hands together then not less than 1 sec …

These 2 rules build in about a 2 second delay after the batter steps in the box, fair game after that if they are ready or not.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Unless the PU calls time, the batter holding her hand up is irrelevent. Once in the box she has to be ready for the pitch. If the batter takes 10 seconds to step in the box, the plate ump will very rarely stop the pitcher from pitching to give her more time to get set. If the pitcher is on the plate when the batter steps in the box, all she has to do is put her hands together and pitch.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs