BATS testing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2009
I wondered if anyone was familiar with the BATS testing by Dr. Frank Spaniol and had opinions on its accuracy? For those who aren't familiar here's a link for the norms that he came up with for high school and NCAA softball players http://ftp.nfca.org/bats/batsnorms.pdf

The norms for the 20yd dash seem a little slow and the bat speed seems a little fast to me and I just wondered if anyone had any experiences with or opinions of the test.

Nov 1, 2009
He probably used auto start clocks and they are alot more accurate than handheld times. Times to first are often as accurate in TB as pitching speeds.

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
My 2 cents - and you're probably overpaying. I was at Pennsbury with DD and she went through the BATS testing. I personally question it's value. The fact is that it measures a lot of objective physical numbers, but I'm not sure that makes it an accurate projector of college softball success. Just like with the NFL combine, it might be a nice supplemental tool. What I fear is that coaches will use this as a way of devaluing actually watching girls play.

The testing at Pennsbury was done in a parking lot with girls sliding all over the place, especially on change of direction drills. If coaches start putting any significant weight on this you will start seeing girls train for the combine, which leads to distorted results. Just because a girl trains to throw a medicine ball hard, doesn't mean she can translate it to the field.

Let's not forget there's a group of adults that stand to make a nice profit if we start signing our DD's up for this. Basically, I found it interesting, but superfluous.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30