Bat Speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
Michigan
Hi All,
Need some help with getting more bat speed. We have been working on the overload, under load drills, with a broom stick, reg. bat and a heavy bat.
Are there anymore drills to help?

thanks
Big Slapper

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
IMO don't look at bat speed as a solution, look at it as the lack of it being a symptom something else is wrong.

You will see tons of bat speed on the Model Swing thread on this hitting forum. Look at where the big hitters bat really picks up speed.

You might want to start and study right when the bat head turns the corner. Examine the stretch and location of the hands at launch. Examine the role the connection between the hips and hands plays in bat speed. Examine the role and timing of the hand pivot in gaining bat speed. Finally examine how forward momentum of the upper body stops at heal plant and bat speed occurs with rotation.

this may help as much as drills.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
If you are using the bat speed radar, then as lhowser has posted. You make changes and see how it effects the bat speed. This is one thing that Howard does an excellent job with his students. He can show you how little changes can effect bat speed. Grip,. Front knee flexed., and many other small changes. See it and feel it, measure it, so the student understands what you are doing.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
He can show you how little changes can effect bat speed...Grip

I have really been toying with this hoping to convert my dd's and others who will listen who still tend to hold the bat to tight and to deep in the palm. I think it makes a difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00