Bat size delimma ??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 23, 2012
Time to get 11yr old DD a new Bat.
She's 5'5" plays 12U TB and currently swings a Miken 32" 20oz.
Here's the delimma she is a great contact hitter with her current bat, 14 games into this season she has more hits than the rest of her team combined. The Head Coach in me says go with a 33' 21oz to maintain the high avg. because it would be best for the team. The Parent/coach in me says go with a 33" 23oz for more power short term.
Either way she'll continue to work on her swing to be a good all around hitter.

Wondering if anyone else has run into this with a young player??
Thanks

Jan 24, 2009
33" is too long for her height. She isn't close to outgrowing 32". Sticking with 32" length is a better way to maintain her high average, but buy a -10 to put more zip on those hits. The sooner a player moves past ultralights, the better.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
33" is too long for her height. She isn't close to outgrowing 32". Sticking with 32" length is a better way to maintain her high average, but buy a -10 to put more zip on those hits. The sooner a player moves past ultralights, the better.

Agree! Should be no hurry to go longer.

Jun 22, 2008
Guess I better tell my 5' 4" daughter her 33" bat was to long for her. She used a 33" from 16's all the way through college.

If she is a great contact hitter with the best average on the team...why is it time for a new bat??

Did she crack it? is it rattling? I guess I don't get it. has it just lost it's pop?

Height does not tell the whole story if she is a real bean pole maybe 100lbs soaking wet maybe she is OK with the lighter bat.
If she is bigger and stronger she can probably go to a -10. Most of the time you hear swing the heaviest bat you can while maintaining proper mechanics and bat speed I think this is what you should look at; have her borrow a few teammates bats for BP and she what she looks like swinging a heavier bat.

Jun 22, 2008
She didnt play softball until she was 14, played LL baseball before that and used a 32". My point is just saying a 33" is to long because of her height is not taking into account any other factors. There is no mention of the girls weight or strength. If she is 5' 5" at 11 years old she is a fairly tall kid for her age. My daughter was all of 5' 2" at 14 and maybe weighed 105 soaking wet and was using a 33" -9 bat. It makes no difference of the kids height or age, if she is capable of handling a longer heavier bat let her use it.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
She didnt play softball until she was 14, played LL baseball before that and used a 32". My point is just saying a 33" is to long because of her height is not taking into account any other factors. There is no mention of the girls weight or strength. If she is 5' 5" at 11 years old she is a fairly tall kid for her age. My daughter was all of 5' 2" at 14 and maybe weighed 105 soaking wet and was using a 33" -9 bat. It makes no difference of the kids height or age, if she is capable of handling a longer heavier bat let her use it.

Good points.

Agree with folks suggesting to move up to a -10.

Personally believe the decision to advance from 32" to 33" should be in part based on mechanics. If the kid can turn the barrel, then the 33" won't be a huge issue ... but if the kid is a bat dragger/puller, then she may need to stay with the shorter bat and perhaps the subsidized lower barrel weight.

Apr 1, 2010
I would look for a good 32/22. You say she's making great contact with her current 32" length, so it doesn't sound like she's having a problem with plate coverage. The Miken Freak/Worth 454 drop 10s are hot as are CF5s and Xenos... Those extra 2 ounces could do a lot for her IMO. She might well be able to significantly add to her power without losing much in the way of average at all.

Nov 23, 2012
Thanks for all the input.
Looks like she'll be getting a 32" 22oz worth 454 or miken which ever is cheaper since there the same bat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619