Bat recommendation?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm interested in getting my DD a 30/20 end-loaded bat at a reasonable price (sub-$100, used is okay). The only end-loaded bat I'm familiar with is the CF6 Insane, but they are beyond my budget. Anything you can suggest?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I'm interested in getting my DD a 30/20 end-loaded bat at a reasonable price (sub-$100, used is okay). The only end-loaded bat I'm familiar with is the CF6 Insane, but they are beyond my budget. Anything you can suggest?

If your DD is strong enough to swing an end loaded 30" bat, I would recommend moving her up to a balanced 31" instead. A 31" bat will have a larger sweet spot and give her better plate coverage.

Jan 24, 2009
Cf4i, Cf5i.

V master-of-the-obvious Dubya

PS: not so obvious opine... a player small/young enough to be using a 30" it is rarely, if ever, fruitful to be messing with endloads.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
You also need to guard against buying "too much bat" for your DD. Through the years I have seen numerous parents who were wearing "rose colored glasses" when buying a bat for their DD. It was like an "arms race" between some of the psycho softball parents on who's DD swung the biggest bat.....

Force = Mass x Acceleration therefore, bat speed is just as important as the mass of the bat.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Honestly, I'm not sure it's necessarily a good choice for my thin 9yo DD, but I was willing to experiment. Part of it was with the thought of her getting a better feel for the barrel. It sounds like I should just let her keep swinging what she's swinging.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Honestly, I'm not sure it's necessarily a good choice for my thin 9yo DD, but I was willing to experiment. Part of it was with the thought of her getting a better feel for the barrel. It sounds like I should just let her keep swinging what she's swinging.

IMO an endloaded bat requires extremely good mechanics to swing properly. I know you are a student of this site and you have offered some very good hitting advice, so I know your DD is in good hands. That said, you should have a good grasp of where she is with mechanics. In my case, my Dd just turned 14 and I am not sure she is ready. She wants one but I have been holding off. Maybe this year.... her swing has been improving thanks to the gurus on this site.

Jan 24, 2009

I'll share my two cents. It is possible to end load a practice bat for about ten cents in materials:

Notes for the curious: One modern penny= 9/100 oz, but with the electrical tape it comes out to one tenth of an oz per penny. This is a photo of a comp that is weighted/endloaded to match a rocketech, and in fact the scale weight and endloaded feel were spot on. This particular job was as good as new after a few thousand swings, and left no bat flaws when removed. The bat pictured is now a super hot gamer. Cheers, Vdub

Jan 24, 2009
So it's almost 2 ounces over weight? haha

I have RT's in three lengths right now and each is more than 2 oz over sticker by 2-3 tenth's. FWIW, I dissected a damaged RT last year and was surprised by how little the endcap weighed. It really wasn't even 'loaded' or weighted, and there was no other source of weight added into the end of the bat. The solid metal knob, on the other hand, is quite heavy and contributes signifigantly to the scale weight of the bat. I found out other interesting bits about the old RT when I dismantled it into pieces, but back to topic...

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
DD has 2 bats, Easton CV12 30/20 which is slightly end loaded. The bat has a composit core with an aluminum sleeve. Her second bat is an Easton Synergy Speed 30/20 full composit. I found both bats online at a fraction of their suggested retail price. CV12 msrp was $179.99 I paid $40 with shipping. Synergy Speed msrp was $259.99, I paid $110 with shipping. There good deals online if your patient

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole