Bat Legality question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 31, 2015
Texas
DD recently played in a ASA tournament where one of the girls from the other team was using a slowpitch softball bat (Demarini Mercy 34/25). When Coach brought it to the Umpires attention he said as long as it has a ASA stamp it is legal. Is this true?

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I've seen that sort of thing in 12U.
One time when DD 1 was on an 11U team, with some really tiny girls, they played against a 12U team from Minnesota, with all these enormous Viking girls on the team. One parent said it looked like the girls could've driven to the game.
But then, I gather somewhere in this great country of ours, there is a deadly D-1 pitcher from Minnesota who is 6'3". :)

May 14, 2015
Bismarck ND
I am one such parent who has to carry DD's ID with everywhere. Big girls up here haha. 11yr old 5'7" 135 of solid muscle, workout warrior of her own choice lol

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
The ASA bat standard does not recognize a bat as being a "fast pitch" bat or a "slow pitch" bat. Just a softball bat.

The terminology and labeling is bat manufacturer marketing. Granted, those bats have different characteristics unique to each game, but as long as the bat has the appropriate ASA stamp and passes the rule qualifications, it is legal to use in either game.

Dec 19, 2012
Slow pitch bats tend to be end loaded. They also tend to be heavier, most bats starting at 26oz but perfectly legal for fastpitch as long as the stamps are legal.

Mar 2, 2013
The bat must have the 2000 ASA Certification Mark or the 2004 ASA Certification Mark. It must say "OFFICIAL SOFTBALL." If it has a 2013 ASA Certification Mark, it is illegal.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves