Basic Fundametal Hitting Practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 24, 2013
Hello,

I am looking for some basic starting point drills/instruction/advice to help my 11 year old daughter with building proper hittting techniques this year without overwhelming her or myself. She started playing softball last year at 10 and we basically just went with having a good stance/comfortable bat position/keep your eyes on the ball and just hit the ball. She hit off a tee and also with me pitching to her. It was kept very simple with her not having to think to much. She really had a good time playing and was able to hit the ball more than she missed it. This year I have introduced the following drills (while keeping the basics from when she was 10) from research on this forum/books/internet etc.:

1.) 1-2-3 drill to teach loading, some hip action and swing.
2.) Walk Through Drill using tee to teach balance and rhythm.
3.) Hitting off a tee then a small hop upward after hitting and bring bat back to start position to help with balance.

I am trying to use KISS instruction right now to keep her from thinking to much and still build on last years efforts while not making her actually regress in progression. Basically, help her build good mechnics early should she want to continue playing softball in the coming years.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions,

Sean

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Welcome to the board...

Sounds like you have the right approach. I would factor in an estimate of what size you can expect her to be first year of HS. Your pediatrician can do it on the phone. Then I would go shopping in the model swings.

If not a Coach, then I would see what school of teaching the local HS Coach is into & take her to see some of the games. PopCorn is one of the best teaching tools....Keep it Fun !

When your ready to step it up a little... I would have her learn to keep score. I'd get GameChanger on her phone, kindle... ??? ect. You can practice on ESPN replays. Knowing how to keep score is the first step into next level, and is the start of developing the mental toughness needed to be good. Scoring Apps are fun too !!! You can make your own popcorn at home, and pause the game. Use organic seeds, with coconut oil, & sea salt. JMHA

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Bicycled with DD to HS game in the park last night. No concession stand, so we got a subway to go, and could see the game great from our picnic table. Awesome to hear her play by play of the game. This was the same diamond she started playing on when she was 8. I played the same game with her that I do with her Mom. Pick the best hitter. DD took a girl that works with her Mom who had a HR a couple weeks ago. I took the right fielder... Hers must have been in a slump... Mine hit every time. Father knows Best... LOL

We seen lots of wide stances, from both teams. Our team won !!!

We do the SnF= Stretch and Fire to warm up...and Tip & Rip as a "style" ??? The avatar is from when she started it this spring, needs updated. Both are threads from on here.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I love the walk up drill "picture Happy Gilmore" this is great in getting them to FEEL a true weight transfer.
Reverse top hand drill, this will work like magic in getting her to FEEL a proper hand path and utilizing as much bat lag as possible, while staying compact and short to the ball. (Never let her hands to cast out away from her body)
Watch for the hands to draw BACK as she is striding forward, its imperative that the hands do not come forward until the stride foot has planted. This will allow her to use her body weight as "free power" because of simple physics ... (an object in motion will stay in motion theory)
If you apply these suggestions along with what you've already found, she'll be on her way to a successful season. Some DVD suggestions to help you are...
Tschida Hitting system
Got Bustos, 3 disc set
USA hitting drills with Mike Candrea
Or look online for Sue Enquist free videos

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd