Baseball swing vs. Softball swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
The games are different. In fastpitch you only have to hit the ball 200 ft for a HR. You can fungo one 200 ft.

I'm not sure the goal on the "elite swing" in fastpitch is to hit homeruns, per se; but to hit hard line drives and have an adjustable and efficient swing to make the adjustment to pitch movement, locations, and speed. I look at home runs as a by-product of good swing mechanics and proper timing, but not the end goal necessarily.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The games are different. In fastpitch you only have to hit the ball 200 ft for a HR. You can fungo one 200 ft.

As I see it, this just means that you have a higher chance of a HR with a sub-optimal swing in softball. This fact shouldn't change the pursuit of a high level swing. Since the goal is still hitting the ball as hard as you can, as often as you can, building the best possible swing mechanics gives you the highest chance of achieving that goal.

Oct 2, 2015
Great thread Annesdad!

The thread/questions you posted...my DD has heard from many College Coaches
Here's what I'm getting from all the Showcases, camps and converstions my DD has had with coaches.
They've called her swing a...Baseball swing, a rotational swing, a Big swing...

From what I'm getting from the last 2 years of these camps is this...
A Baseball swing is what they consider an older style rotational swing that has more upward attack angle that that matches the downward angle of the incoming baseball and causes the ball to get more lift. The bat head rotates through "the zone" in a rotational arc, therefore keeping the bat head in "the zone" for a shorter period.

A softball swing (fastpitch) is what they consider a linear swing that has a more leveled out attack angle that matches that flatter trajectory of an incoming fastpitch softball. The hands and body cause the bat head to move through "the zone" in a more linear fashion. Therefore keeping the bat head in "the zone" longer, giving the batter a longer time for the bat head to hit the ball.

Her "dream school" coach said that my DD had a "pop up" swing.
We believed and listened to that coach.
We changed her swing from a rotational swing to a linear swing...and she lost ~40' of distance.
DD got pissed and we went back to the "Big Rotational Baseball swing...and what do ya know, all the power is back...

But my DD has heard it as well, while at Showcases Camps where there are many coaches at various stations working with the girls.
At one camp she had 3 different batting stations and all 3 coaches told her 3 different things on how to get her swing into a more linear fashion.
Short too...long through... they say. And level it out.
Now any and all coaches that have showed interest in my DD, the first thing she asks is if they are going to make her change her swing to linear.

One coach told my DD that home runs in fast pitch are a mistake...especially higher arcing HRs. My other 2 DDs heard the coach say this also...
After 31 mistakes the last two school and summer travel ball seasons, my DD better pick another sport. :)

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
So, does this coach think that MLB hitters are not short to the ball? I wonder what this coach means by short to the ball.

This is where naysayers will fail the test. A baseball swing is not long. Sometimes they believe pre barrel turn movements by the body means long swing. alot of moving freaks them out.
the check list should be bat speed. Timing and bat path that produces line drives. An angled barrel path is a big help in avoiding pop ups, as if you hit under the ball it will "slice " not pop up.
A flat level swing will produce pop ups. I believe an angled bat will also help put the bat on the ball, as most of the time the ball is falling, or dropping, not riding a flat plane.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Great thread Annesdad!

The thread/questions you posted...my DD has heard from many College Coaches
Here's what I'm getting from all the Showcases, camps and converstions my DD has had with coaches.
They've called her swing a...Baseball swing, a rotational swing, a Big swing...

From what I'm getting from the last 2 years of these camps is this...
A Baseball swing is what they consider an older style rotational swing that has more upward attack angle that that matches the downward angle of the incoming baseball and causes the ball to get more lift. The bat head rotates through "the zone" in a rotational arc, therefore keeping the bat head in "the zone" for a shorter period.

A softball swing (fastpitch) is what they consider a linear swing that has a more leveled out attack angle that matches that flatter trajectory of an incoming fastpitch softball. The hands and body cause the bat head to move through "the zone" in a more linear fashion. Therefore keeping the bat head in "the zone" longer, giving the batter a longer time for the bat head to hit the ball.

Her "dream school" coach said that my DD had a "pop up" swing.
We believed and listened to that coach.
We changed her swing from a rotational swing to a linear swing...and she lost ~40' of distance.
DD got pissed and we went back to the "Big Rotational Baseball swing...and what do ya know, all the power is back...

But my DD has heard it as well, while at Showcases Camps where there are many coaches at various stations working with the girls.
At one camp she had 3 different batting stations and all 3 coaches told her 3 different things on how to get her swing into a more linear fashion.
Short too...long through... they say. And level it out.
Now any and all coaches that have showed interest in my DD, the first thing she asks is if they are going to make her change her swing to linear.

One coach told my DD that home runs in fast pitch are a mistake...especially higher arcing HRs. My other 2 DDs heard the coach say this also...
After 31 mistakes the last two school and summer travel ball seasons, my DD better pick another sport. :)

Hello Elbow advocates and climate change deniers, too, I'll bet. Linear v. rotational is so 1900s. It's ime to enter the 2000s and study some video. Or retire.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
In my experience, "Coaches" who say a kid has a "baseball swing" are using a nice term to say they don't like her swing. Something is inherently wrong with it but this type of swing still allows her to get lucky sometimes. usually these coaches also believe a softball pitch is always rising, the mirror image of a baseball pitch.

Michelle Smith is a good example of an athlete who was one of the best when she played but continues to spout the same kind of drivel that coaches at that time believed, without actual proof of anything. Sue Enquist, on the other hand is the type who remains a student of the game and is not afraid to adopt something new when it is proven to be more accurate than her previously held beliefs, even if it contradicts them. ie Michelle is still drawing on cave walls while Sue is sending kids to the moon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi