Base path from 3rd to Home

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 12, 2013
Ok! I need someone to explain the exact rule about no base path from 3rd to home. Let me explain...at high school game catcher had ball 2 ft in front of plate, runner ran around catcher out of base path, catcher didn't chase her because she was out of base path assuming she was out. Runner then stepped on home plate. Umpire calls her out, 3rd base coach screaming saying there is NO BASE PATH FROM 3RD TO HOME. Umpire then agrees changes decision and runner is safe. I went up to coach after game because I never knew this rule and she said the catcher cannot stand in the base path with the ball. Runner has the right to avoid the tag because she knows she'll never touch the plate sliding with the catcher 2ft in front of the plate. I always assumed if there is a play being made on you as the BR you have 3ft on either side in which to be in a safe zone. I've never heard that this rule does not apply from 3rd to Home.

Jun 24, 2013
There is no safe zone, I am probably not going to say it right either but you have the rule correct.

Runner is out when then run more than 3 feet from their base path to avoid being tagged out, there is no exception for a runner running home.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Just playing Devil's advocate. If the catcher made no attempt to tag her then she's not out of the base line trying to avoid a tag, therefore she could run where ever she wanted to.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Ok! I need someone to explain the exact rule about no base path from 3rd to home. Let me explain...at high school game catcher had ball 2 ft in front of plate, runner ran around catcher out of base path, catcher didn't chase her because she was out of base path assuming she was out. Runner then stepped on home plate. Umpire calls her out, 3rd base coach screaming saying there is NO BASE PATH FROM 3RD TO HOME. Umpire then agrees changes decision and runner is safe. I went up to coach after game because I never knew this rule and she said the catcher cannot stand in the base path with the ball. Runner has the right to avoid the tag because she knows she'll never touch the plate sliding with the catcher 2ft in front of the plate. I always assumed if there is a play being made on you as the BR you have 3ft on either side in which to be in a safe zone. I've never heard that this rule does not apply from 3rd to Home.

The BASE PATH exist any time a defender makes an attempt to tag out a runner. See, that is how simple it is. :) The base path is the direct line from the runner to the base to which s/he is progressing. The runner may not run more than 3' away from that line TO AVOID A TAG. The base path changes every time the runner reverses direction.

Secondly, the runner always has the right of way EXCEPT when the defender is fielding a batter ball or is in possession of the ball. A defender in possession of the ball OWNS the field. There are no exceptions, the person in possession of the ball can stand anywhere they please.

Your coach and umpire haven't a clue. BTW, this is pretty much the same in all stick, base & ball games. NCAA has an additional piece that isn't worth going into unless you want to discuss NCAA ball.

Jun 1, 2013
I have had sort of the same thing called against us. Ball hit down first base line girl goes to tag her and she clearly moves way out of her path to avoid tag. Ump called her safe. Said she wasn't avoiding tag, she was avoiding collision?! In hindsight, his second bad call that play was not ejecting me. I would have ejected me. After I settled down, I called time and apologized to everyone in the stands and the players. Avoiding collision? Yeah avoiding colliding with glove that will tag her out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie