Ball on field

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 5, 2012
A question for the umpires. ASA qualifier 18U. 1B throws to 3B on a tag play, overthrows, LF recovers ball on backup. A ball enters the field from the vicinity of the play. Runner on 3 believes the ball is loose and tries to take home and is thrown out. Since the initial play was over should there been a dead ball called when the stray ball entered the field of play? A defensive player was also fooled by the extra ball as it looked like it entered the field from the group around 3rd.

Why do I get the feeling that if the runner had safely scored & the ump had killed the play & put the runner back on 3B, you would still be on here complaining?

Okay, so we have an overthrow and a ball straying onto the field of play. Where did the stray ball come from? Why are you so sure that the runner was reacting to the stray ball & not the overthrow? WHAT WAS THE 3B COACH DOING???!!! (This is what I find baffling!!!)

"......the initial play was over......" What does that mean? The ball is live! There has to be a clear stoppage of all ongoing play before an umpire should call time, stray ball on the field or not. It doesn't sound like there was a clear stoppage to me.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Why do I get the feeling that if the runner had safely scored & the ump had killed the play & put the runner back on 3B, you would still be on here complaining?

Okay, so we have an overthrow and a ball straying onto the field of play. Where did the stray ball come from? Why are you so sure that the runner was reacting to the stray ball & not the overthrow? WHAT WAS THE 3B COACH DOING???!!! (This is what I find baffling!!!)

"......the initial play was over......" What does that mean? The ball is live! There has to be a clear stoppage of all ongoing play before an umpire should call time, stray ball on the field or not. It doesn't sound like there was a clear stoppage to me.

I'm not complaining, just asking a question. The whole play was confusing. I did say in another post that I believed the runner should have been out, which is what happened. If the runner had scored, I don't think it would have been fair to the defense either. I just didn't know if there was a rule that covered the stray ball that may have allowed the umpire to return the runner to 3B. When I said the initial play was over, one player had control of the ball and started to return it to the pitcher (runner couldn't see this as the player was behind her). Any other time I"ve seen a ball enter the field, it wasn't in the vicinity of the location of the game ball.

I'm not sure why you assume I'm complaining. I never said I believed the outcome should have been any different, just had never seen quite that situation before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand