Ball on field

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
A question for the umpires. ASA qualifier 18U. 1B throws to 3B on a tag play, overthrows, LF recovers ball on backup. A ball enters the field from the vicinity of the play. Runner on 3 believes the ball is loose and tries to take home and is thrown out. Since the initial play was over should there been a dead ball called when the stray ball entered the field of play? A defensive player was also fooled by the extra ball as it looked like it entered the field from the group around 3rd.

Mar 11, 2009
A question for the umpires. ASA qualifier 18U. 1B throws to 3B on a tag play, overthrows, LF recovers ball on backup. A ball enters the field from the vicinity of the play. Runner on 3 believes the ball is loose and tries to take home and is thrown out. Since the initial play was over should there been a dead ball called when the stray ball entered the field of play? A defensive player was also fooled by the extra ball as it looked like it entered the field from the group around 3rd.

I say runner is out if she went on her own thinking the game ball was loose. Ump's will call dead ball when they see the ball on the field, not retro active to when the ball came on the field, but its sounds like that hadn't happened yet.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

That would be completely up to the umpire, and without actually seeing it, there is no way to give a definitive answer.

That said, **** happens. Balls from other fields come onto a field at times. It is going to happen. The umpire should NOT call a dead ball until ALL play is obviously complete.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 2, 2013
The umpire should figure out what most likely would have happened, based on the circumstances and experience, had the ball not entered the field. All the umpire could do is try to remedy the situation.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
That would be completely up to the umpire, and without actually seeing it, there is no way to give a definitive answer.

That said, *** happens. Balls from other fields come onto a field at times. It is going to happen. The umpire should NOT call a dead ball until ALL play is obviously complete.

It does happen all the time. What was weird was the trajectory of the ball. It was flat, almost as if it was thrown, not hit. Most balls come on a downward trajectory onto the field. It was a flukey thing and the runner probably should have been out and was. I just wondered if there was any rule that covered it. I think the only person on the field that knew for sure it wasn't the game ball was the one holding it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 2, 2013
Umpire a few games in the South Bronx and softballs won't be the only thing flying onto the field. I do seem to recall a pitcher getting hit with a water balloon a split second after she released the ball. "Time" was called immediately in an effort to keep the batter from swinging.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
It does happen all the time. What was weird was the trajectory of the ball. It was flat, almost as if it was thrown, not hit. Most balls come on a downward trajectory onto the field. It was a flukey thing and the runner probably should have been out and was. I just wondered if there was any rule that covered it. I think the only person on the field that knew for sure it wasn't the game ball was the one holding it.

Speaking ASA, there is no rule governing the play unless it is known the ball came in from a particular team and then could be addressed as loose equipment and ruled upon accordingly assuming it's presence actually interfered with the play. Being a simple distraction, IMO, is not interfering with the play.

If it was found to have been intentional, there is certainly an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty which can be applied, if the umpire believes it to be appropriate.

And if it were intentional, the umpire probably could provide resolution via the god rule, but if the umpire does that, s/he better damn well dump someone. Rule 10.1 gives the PU the authority to rectify this situation, but shy of having specific knowledge as to the most likely outcome of the play, I wouldn't get too imaginative with such awards. Because umpires shouldn't be looking to get someone on this, the resolution is often a compromise and often some coach wants EVERYTHING to go his/her way. Guess what? :)

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
I have known a coach to roll another ball out there. Is there a chance that is what happened?

Amy, in the years I've been calling, I've never seen this. As an official, I'm not sure how I would react to that if it happened. When you say you've "known" someone to do this, did you hear about it after or were you there? Just curious as to how it was handled, if the officials saw it, and if you have any other information re that particular situation.

As far as the OP and other balls coming onto the field, imho it's similar to OBS or INT, etc, it's one of those HTBT incidents. Timing, who saw it, etc all become a factor at that point.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619